Support Services

Financial Support

student with artwork backgroud

There are many ways you can get help with the cost of studying, with lots of different grants available depending on your circumstances. For help or advice, contact Student Services at one of our campuses or call 01495 333777

ALL EMA/WGLG Learner Agreements and FCF applications are online this year. See the Grants and Transport tile on CG Connect for more information.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

If you’re 16 to 18 years old, living in Wales and want to continue your education after school, this could give you £30 a week, paid every two weeks if you complete an EMA Learning Agreement with Coleg Gwent and maintain a 100% attendance record.  Contact Student Services or visit Student Finance Wales for more details.

Welsh Government Learning Grant Further Education (WGLG) (FE)

This could give you up to £1,500 a year if you’re aged 19 or over, are studying a Further Education course at college, complete a WGLG Learning Agreement with us and meet the attendance and behaviour criteria. To find out more and apply, visit Student Finance Wales.

If you are having trouble downloading an EMA or WGLG application pack and would like one sent to you, please email your name, address and if you would like an EMA or WGLG pack to

Financial Contingency Fund (FCF)

This fund is provided by the Welsh Government and is means-tested. You must be enrolled on a full-time Further Education course and have been resident in the UK or EU for at least three years immediately before starting your course. You should apply as soon as possible.  You will need to log in using your Coleg Gwent user name and password to complete the forms.

Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) Application 21/22
Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) – Childcare Application 21/22
FCF Guidance 21/22
FCF Childcare Guidance 21/22

How can FCF help?

  Full Time Learner (12+ hrs. a week)
Under 19 Over 19
Bus pass cost Yes Yes
Childcare cost Yes Yes
Equipment grant Yes Yes
Meal vouchers Yes No (except in special cases)


Bus pass costs – the grant helps towards the cost of a bus pass so your eligible journeys will be free. You are still required to pay the termly bus pass fee (£10 per term).

Childcare costs – up to 90% of your childcare costs for one child up to a maximum of £45 per day are covered if your annual household income is under £20,000.

Equipment grant – the grant will pay towards the cost of buying essential equipment for your course.

Meal vouchers – if you’re 16-18, and either you or your Parents / Guardian are in receipt of eligible benefits you can receive a daily meal allowance to the value of £3.60 per day.

Hardship Support – if you have extreme financial problems or your circumstances change to affect your attendance at College, you can apply for financial help through the fund.  Talk to Student Services for details.

ReAct Funding

Made redundant in the last six months or facing redundancy? ReAct can help you improve your chance of returning to work by providing up to £2,500 towards the cost of vocational training courses. To apply, contact your local Careers Wales office who can help you look at your options.

David Davies Memorial Trust

If you’re 17 years old and a dependant of a South Wales coal worker/ex-coal worker, you could get a non means-tested grant of up to £300 from the David Davies Memorial Trust through the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO).

If you think you may be eligible, contact

The Discretionary Assistance Fund in Wales (DAF)

DAF in Wales replaces parts of the Social Fund, which were sometimes known as ‘crisis loans’ or ‘community care grants’. It offers support through Emergency and Individual Assistance Payments. To apply, call 0800 859 5924 or click here.

Prince’s Trust Development Award

This could help you with the costs of transport, equipment or other expenses during your time at college. Find out more here.


For cancelled courses, you can defer your payment to a future course or request a refund using our online form or Word document form.