Congratulations to all the learners who received their GCSE and Level 2 BTEC results today! At Coleg Gwent, we’re celebrating incredible pass rates for the class of 2022. This year, we’ve seen an outstanding 92.5% pass rate for GCSE Maths, and an impressive 85.4% pass rate for GCSE English too. Well done to all the learners who worked so hard to make it and achieve their grades and thank you to the tutors who made it possible!
Coleg Gwent gives learners the opportunity to re-sit their Maths and English GCSEs alongside studying other higher level vocational or academic courses at college, and people choose to do this for many reasons. Perhaps you didn’t get the results you wanted first time around, or maybe you want to improve your skills, boost your career options, or increase your chances of getting into university. Whatever your driving factors and end goal, you can make it happen with the help of Coleg Gwent.
Meet some of our GCSE learners to find out why they took Maths and English GCSEs at Coleg Gwent and discover what it means for them:
- 18-year-old John Dorling sat his GCSE Maths at Torfaen Learning Zone this year. He needed to pass his Maths GCSE to allow him to apply to university and pursue a career in art. Today, he’s thrilled to achieve a B grade, which allows him to follow his dreams. John now plans to complete his second year of Level 2 BTEC Art and Design, and with his GCSE Maths result, it opens doors to progress to university!
“I struggled with Maths, but Coleg Gwent gave me the best support possible. The tutors are kind and always give you help when needed. They take the importance of your learning seriously.”
- Mature learner Yasmin, from Newport, has ambitions of becoming an accountant and wants to study Forensic Accounting at university. To get there, she needed to complete her Maths GCSE, and today she walks away with an A grade and is looking forward to continuing her studies.
“I would recommend Coleg Gwent to other students because there are some really fantastic tutors that work for Coleg Gwent. They’re passionate about what they do and want to see you succeed.”
- Margaret studied GCSE English and passed with a grade C today. She felt calm about collecting her results as she knew she’d worked hard for it. She’s now thrilled to be going on to study Access to Nursing.
“Coleg Gwent has worked brilliantly in a range of areas such as continued encouragements, providing resources and best of all believing in me. I appreciate all the College’s efforts.”
- Hannah, aged 21, chose to study GCSE Maths at Coleg Gwent to enable her to complete a PGCE course. She’s proudly achieved an A grade today:
“I was a little nervous prior to starting the course. However, the staff and learners made me feel very comfortable. I now plan to start my PGCE course in September at Cardiff Metropolitan University. Coleg Gwent has provided me with the confidence to do this.”
- Richard is also thrilled to achieve a B grade in English today after waiting patiently for his results. He’s now looking forward to taking a break for a year before deciding what to do next.
“I came to Coleg Gwent with no expectations. But with the help of the tutors and colleagues, I have achieved enough and I’m proud of myself!”
- 16-year-old Athraa scored a grade B in her GCSE Maths alongside passing her Level 2 Applied Science today too. Setting her goals high, she’d like to get into medicine in the future and commented on the “great support you get from the teachers at Coleg Gwent”
Today is not just a day of celebration for our learners though. GCSE results day is also a chance for us to celebrate the achievements of thousands of learners from schools across the region as well. This particular year group has faced challenges we’ve never seen before with the widespread impact of a global pandemic affecting their learning journey. However, they’ve demonstrated resilience and dedication in the face of adversity, and we’re proud of every student for their hard work in achieving their GCSEs and other Level 2 qualifications today.
Many students will now be looking forward to joining us this September to take the next steps in their educational journey through A Levels or vocational courses. We’re excited to welcome you for freshers this September, and if you haven’t applied yet, it’s not too late to join us. There are still some spaces remaining on a range of courses but they’re filling fast. So, apply now to avoid disappointment and we look forward to seeing you in September.
Congratulations again to the class of 2022!