Higher Education Learning Support

Supporting you

We have plenty of support services on offer, whether you need assistance with proof reading your work, accessibility support or extra sessions to assist with assignments, we’re here to help!

Additional Learning Needs (ALN)

Upon confirmation from Student Finance Wales/England, if you have a registered learning difficulty and/or a disability, we can provide lots of support.

This could include:

  • In-class support from an Additional Support Assistant
  • Extra sessions for help with assignments and coursework
  • Help from a Communication Support Worker (for deaf students)
  • Dyslexia support
  • Use of accessibility software including initial training
  • Exam access arrangements

If you need support you can talk to your Personal Tutor, contact the campus Additional Learning Needs Co-ordinator (ALNCo) or the Higher Education Progression officer.

Personal Tutors

As a higher education learner you’ll receive individual support from a personal tutor from the moment you join Coleg Gwent. You will have regular tutorials and your tutor will closely monitor your progress and support you through your studies at college. Your tutor will help you settle into college, guide you through your course, offer support through any difficult times and celebrate successes.

Higher Education Progression Officers

On each campus we have a Higher Education Progression Officer who will support you with academic and pastoral guidance throughout your programme of study. Higher Education Progression Officers are dedicated to supporting you through any difficulty, which includes referral to our relevant specialist teams. Our support includes:

  • Study skills
  • Academic support
  • Attendance issues
  • Financial advice
  • Dealing with stress and anxiety