YMCA Certificate in Gym Instructing Level 2
You can select another campus or date option from the list below:
In a nutshell
The aim of this intensive qualification is to enable learners to develop the knowledge and skills so they can engage, facilitate, educate and support clients in a gym or health club environment. Completing this qualification allows learners to access Gym Instructor jobs.
This course is for...
... people looking to begin their pathway into the fitness industry
... those who want to work as an instructor in the context of gym-based exercise, exercise to music or group instruction.
... anyone with a keen interest in health and fitness.
This course comprises 5 units and units 1-3 are mandatory. (It is endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).)
- Anatomy and physiology
- Providing a positive customer experience in the exercise environment
- Lifestyle Management and Health Awareness
- Gym Based program, planning and preparation
- Gym based program delivery and professional instruction.
The practical units include:
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare gym-based exercise programmes
Assessment: This is an intensive theory and practical course that will be assessed by a multiple-choice exam, an on-line open book Y-mark assessment, a workbook and practical assessment.
There are no formal entry requirements although learners will need a keen interest in fitness instruction based activities; practical participation is essential. Candidates must be aged 19 or over.
After this course you could take the Level 3 Personal Training full or part time; Level 2 Group Cycling/Exercise to Music/Exercise and physical activity for children/Instructing Circuit Session; or gain employment in the fitness industry.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team