Coronavirus Update for Learners, Applicants, Parents and Carers from Coleg Gwent
We can’t wait to welcome you!!
Update: Friday 31 July 2020
Following the latest guidance from Welsh Government, we’re so pleased to be welcoming back all our learners into college this September to start the new academic year! Preparations are under way…
Please click here to see the latest update for learners, applicants, parents and carers.
At Coleg Gwent, we’re regularly reviewing the situation to provide you with the most up to date information and advice via this webpage.
New applications are still being processed as normal. Please visit the learning section of our website and apply today!
Curious about September?
After your enrolment in August, you’ll be told more about your first classes and timetable for September, which will be available on the student app CG Connect.
If you’re experiencing ICT issues, you can access the helpdesk here.
If you haven’t already, download the CG Connect/Staff Portal app now by searching ‘Coleg Gwent Connect’ via your app store.
What do I need to know?
- Access to services and support – All learners have access to CG Connect and Canvas to keep in touch with teachers and a range of support services which will enable learning to continue.
- Exams and assessments – See the Vice Principal’s latest update for information on how qualifications will be awarded this summer. For learners who have paid an exam fee, we’re unsure yet whether these will be refunded and await further instruction. We will contact all paying learners in due course to let you know. We understand there will be no change to vocational assessments except where students have external exams and we are awaiting further instructions.
- Results Day 2020 – Welsh Government have confirmed that results days will go ahead as originally scheduled. For AS/A Levels and GCSEs, we’ll be sending these to you electronically by email on Results Day, so please make sure you check your college email account on Thursday 13 August for AS/A Levels and on 20 August for GCSEs. https://gov.wales/written-statement-results-day-2020
- New applications and interviews – We’re continuing to accept new applications and make offers for all subjects, however Information Advice and Guidance (IAG) interviews have been replaced with a conditional offer based on predicted/actual grades. We will be keeping in touch and updating you on your application by email. If you haven’t heard from us, let us know by emailing email@example.com and include your Learner ID.
- Enrolment dates for all full-time learners
New learners will will have allocated date/time slots: 20–29 Aug;
Existing learners moving subject areas: 18-19 Aug;
Returning learners: online.
Further details have been sent via email and can be found on our website:
- Enrolment dates for Higher Education learners
1st year learners will have allocated date/time slots: 28 Aug – 4 Sept;
2nd year learners: online.
Further details will be sent by email soon.
- Torfaen Learning Zone is still making good progress, but with ongoing uncertainty around COVID-19, the September term will start in our Pontypool Campus, which will be well-resourced to accommodate all subjects and we’ll be providing free transport from Torfaen Learning Zone to Pontypool campus during this time.
When Torfaen Learning Zone is ready, we’ll do everything to provide a seamless transition to the new campus, with all the necessary support along the way. Please check back for updates, or if you have applied you’ll receive regular updates by email.
- Access to site – Learners will not be able to access College sites until further notice. All College sites will continue to have a caretaking and security presence. Any staff requiring access must log a ‘site access request’ on the Estates helpdesk stating the reason and allowing 24 hours notice.
- Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) payments will not be affected by campus closures. We will also continue to fund free meals for those learners who are eligible, via direct payments.
- Part time courses – Our part-time guide is out now – Apply now for courses starting in September! For cancelled courses that were due to start in March or April, you can defer your payment to a future course or request a refund.
- Higher Education learners studying USW programmes may have received messages directly from USW. Please disregard these messages and refer to Coleg Gwent communications for updates.
- Employers – We are still here to support you remotely. For more information go to our Employer section of the website.
- Contractors and suppliers – We are doing everything we can to protect our suppliers, contractors and the local community from the impact of the coronavirus.
Our three key priorities are as follows:
- Keep everyone safe
- Keep learning going
- Minimise non-essential contact
All updates will be posted here and across our various social media channels as soon as they’re available. So for any new information, please check our online platforms in the first instance.
For further information, we recommend that you also refer to the Welsh Government website and the Foreign Commonwealth Office and download a free information book explaining the Coronavirus to children, illustrated by Gruffalo illustrator Axel Scheffler.