Coronavirus Update for Learners, Applicants, Parents and Carers
Latest learner update: Thursday 27 May 2021
As we approach the last half term of the academic year, we’d like to provide you with some important updates to help you complete the year. This includes important information on how learning will continue after the half term break together with updates on how qualifications will be awarded this year. Please click here to read more.
We’ll continue to update you as soon as we have more information (through CG Connect and through our website).
What happens if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 on campus?
If one of our learners has a positive COVID-19 test result, all learners in their contact group will be notified by their tutor or Head of School and issued with a letter confirming the situation and providing instructions to self-isolate. During this time, teaching and learning will continue remotely where possible.
A positive COVID-19 test result from someone who has been on our campus does not mean that the campus will close. Following Welsh Government guidelines, our learners are in small contact groups* in classrooms, which limits the number of people mixing.
In communal spaces, face coverings, social distancing, hand sanitising, frequent cleaning and staggered timetables minimise the risk further, so only those within a contact group of somebody who tests positive for COVID-19 will be asked to return home and self-isolate.
*Contact group – an individual teaching or tutor group. In the case of A/AS Levels, a learner may belong to several contact groups (one for each subject).
How we’re keeping our community safe
A BIG welcome to all new and returning learners! Please remember to follow all guidance when on campus. Let’s all keep college COVID secure!
We have a social responsibility to keep our learners, staff and wider communities safe by asking them to follow the latest COVID-19 guidance whilst on campus and in their local areas. The latest up-to-date guidance for learners and staff can be found on the CG Connect app, our website, social media and posters/signage around our campuses, and failure to adhere to the COVID-19 guidance is a breach of our Code of Conduct.
Our COVID-19 guidance is based on Welsh Government’s advice, including:
- Wearing a face covering in communal areas indoors, in shops and on public transport
- Maintaining a 2 metre social distance outside of classrooms, on the college campuses and in the local community
- Adhering to contact groups guidelines in classrooms and remaining in contact groups outside of lessons where possible*
- Following our one way system
- Avoiding large gatherings in the local area and returning home immediately after classes
- Using hand sanitiser and washing hands regularly.
New applications are still being processed as normal. Please visit the learning section of our website and apply today!
Interested in a part-time course?
If you’d like to join one of our popular part-time courses, call our Student Recruitment team on 01495-333777 today. Payment will need to be taken to secure your place. Don’t delay, enrol today!
If you’re a learner who needs to pay fees, please complete your enrolment and you’ll be contacted when the payment portal is available. No payments are currently being taken on campus.
Our phone lines are now open for enquiries. If you need to speak to us about a specific issue, you can contact us by phone or email:
Experiencing ICT issues?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
Questions about your grades?
If you haven’t received the grades you were hoping for, please attend your enrolment appointment and we’ll discuss your options with you or for more information visit our dedicated results page.
If you’d like to speak to our exams team, please email ExamsOfficers@coleggwent.ac.uk or call:
BGLZ: 01495 333016
Crosskeys: 01495 333491
Pontypool: 01495 333196
Newport: 01633 466007
Usk: 01495 333640
Questions about your application?
If you’re thinking about applying for a course or need help with your application, contact our Student Recruitment Team by emailing email@example.com.
If you’ve already applied for a course, get in touch with our Admissions Team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exam fees – we’re currently still waiting for the awarding bodies to confirm if there will be any refunds or discounts to exam fees. So, if you’ve paid a fee towards exams for your part-time course, we’ll update our website with details on how to apply for your refund as soon as we’re advised further by the awarding body.
- Assessment arrangements for GCSE, AS and A level grades in summer 2021 – If you’re taking GCSE, AS or A Levels this summer (2021), your teachers or your lecturers will decide your grade. There will be no external assessment or exams. Find out more here.
- New applications and interviews – We’re continuing to accept new applications and make offers for all subjects, however Information Advice and Guidance (IAG) interviews have been replaced with a conditional offer based on predicted/actual grades. We will be keeping in touch and updating you on your application by email. If you haven’t heard from us, let us know by emailing email@example.com and include your Learner ID.
- Grants and Finance – ALL EMA/WGLG Learner Agreements and FCF applications are online this year. See the Grants and Finance tile on CG Connect for more information.
- Part time courses – Our part-time guide for 2021 is out – Apply now. Following Welsh Government announcements and COVID restrictions, some part-time courses due to start this January and February may move to online teaching and learning where suitable. Unfortunately, other courses may be re-scheduled or cancelled if unsuitable for remote learning. You can defer your payment to a future course or request a refund. A member of staff will contact you with an update of any changes to your course ahead of your start date. If you’ve applied for a course beyond 12th February, further updates will be provided in due course.
- Employers – We are still here to support you remotely. For more information go to our Employer section of the website.
- Contractors and suppliers – We are doing everything we can to protect our suppliers, contractors and the local community from the impact of the coronavirus.
Our three key priorities are as follows:
- Keep everyone safe
- Keep learning going
- Minimise non-essential contact
All updates will be posted here and across our various social media channels as soon as they’re available. So for any new information, please check our online platforms in the first instance.
For further information, we recommend that you also refer to the Welsh Government website and the Foreign Commonwealth Office and download a free information book explaining the Coronavirus to children, illustrated by Gruffalo illustrator Axel Scheffler.