The Apprenticeship programme, led by the Welsh Government and supported by the European Social fund, covers 100% of the fees associated with a nationally-recognised framework within Wales.
In 2017, the Apprenticeship Employer Incentive Programme was launched, providing support for SMEs to recruit new Apprentices, aged 16-19 years old,* with your business receiving £3,500 (per learner) for apprentices recruited during the period of July-September and January- March and a payment of £2,500 (per learner) for apprentices recruited at all other times of the year.
Full payment is made after the apprentices have been employed for 8 months.
This programme is only available to SMEs who are new to apprenticeships or have not recruited an apprentice in the last 30 months and would not be able to recruit without the support of the grant.
- The employee is to be based in Wales for at least 51% of their time.
- You must commit to employing an apprentice(s) for 12 months or the time taken to complete the apprenticeship programme (whichever is the greater).
- You must employ the apprentice(s) for at least 30 hours per week.
- You must agree to pay the apprentice(s) in line with legal minimum requirements or more
- Funding is for a maximum of three apprentices per employer
*Apprentices must be new employees aged between 16-19 years old on the day they are recruited.