VTCT Diploma Level 3 Beauty Therapy Aesthetics (Technical) Level 3
In a nutshell
The VTCT Level 3 Technical Diploma in Beauty Therapy is an advanced, sector-specific qualification which will prepare you for a career as a beauty therapist and will support you to gain employment.
This course is for you if...
...you have qualified in Beauty Therapy at Level 2
...you want to develop specialist knowledge
...you are hardworking, motivated and have a friendly personality
What will I be doing?
This qualification is an advanced technical qualification which has been developed collaboratively with employers, professional associations and trade bodies to set the standard and content. The qualification has also been informed by the experience of WorldSkills International which is a global hub for skills excellentce and development.
The overall qualification is graded as Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction*
The units you will cover on this course includes:
- Electrical Science
- Facial electrical treatments
- Body electrical treatments
- Body Analysis
- Skin Analysis
- Swedish Massage Therapy
- Mechanical Massage
- Nail Enhancements and Advanced Hand Nail Art Techniques
- Skin Tanning techniques
- Customer Care
- Health and Safety
- Anatomy and Physiology
You’ll learn through:
- Theory classes
- Practical workshops
- Real salon environments at the college working on clients
- Commercial sessions
- Group work
- Work placement - either weekly or on block
You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in:
- In house college competitions
- Inspiring Skills Wales and UK/World Skills
- Spa days
- Industry demonstrations on Laser/IPL treatment
- Visits and trips to industry specialists
- Supervisory roles in the department and managing therapists' columns
This qualification includes internal and external assessments including written exams, practical assessments, treatment portfolio and practical exams. Once complete, you’ll achieve:
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Technical)
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set
What is expected of me?
To enter this course, you will need Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy or equivalent/work experience
and GCSE English at Grade C or above.
You must be self-motivated, hardworking and have a friendly personality. All classes take place on campus and there will be one evening a week where you may be required to attend college until 7.30pm.
Work related experience is a compulsory part of the course and includes work placements and working on clients in the campus beauty clinics. Attendance and punctuality for all sessions is a major requirement of this course.
What comes next?
You will be able to progress to the following courses on successful completion of Level 3 Beauty Therapy. Some courses will have additional entry requirements but these will be discussed with you when you are ready to apply:
- Level 3 Diploma in Complementary and Spa Therapies or HND in Complementary Healthcare
- Level 4 Certificate in Aesthetics (Skin Peeling, Skin Needling, Dermaplaning and Micro-blading for Eyebrows)
- Level 2 or 3 Diploma in Theatrical and Media Make Up
- Employment in the beauty industry
Code of dress:
- Uniform which must be worn for all practical sessions. This is a mandatory requirement
- Hair must be neatly tied back off the face
- No piercings
- No jewellery other than a wedding ring can be worn in the salon
As a condition of your place on this course, you will be expected to purchase the appropriate kit, from our approved supplier, costing approximately £198.
To reflect industry expectations, you will be required to wear a Coleg Gwent salon uniform which is to be ordered from our approved supplier. For 2023/2024 the college will fund the cost of one full uniform. Details on how to order your free uniform and additional sets, with supplier payment options, can be obtained from your Head of School, Lecturer or Technician. The price for 2023/2024 is £45.
Additional costs could occur during the year for educational visits.
All costs are under review and subject to change.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team