YMCA Diploma in Exercise Referral Level 3
In a nutshell
The qualification aims to equip the individual with the skills, knowledge and understaning required to plan and instruct programmes for exercise referral patients. With a growing number of referral schemes, this specialism is in demand and highly rewarding. This course will teach you how to provide assistance/advice and design exercise programmes for people with certain medical conditions which put their health at risk.
This course is for...
… Qualified fitness professionals
… Anyone wanting to be an Exercise Referral Instructor.
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification that will be covered include:
- The principles of collecting information to plan an exercise referral programme, the principles of risk stratification in exercise referral and the principles and procedures of record keeping.
- How to identify goals with exercise referral patients and instruct, adapt, and review exercise session with these patients. How to plan, prepare, monitor and adapt an exercise referral programme with patients and understand the importance of long term behaviour change for these patients.
- The current healthcare systems in the UK, the exercise referral process, the roles and responsibilities of the professional within an exercise referral scheme and the role and importance of exercise referral, related policies and key documents.
- The concept of a patient centered approach.
- The clinical features of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes, the relationship between exercise and specified exercise referral medical conditions, the accepted methods for treatment/management of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes and how to programme safe, effective exercise programmes for patients with specified exercise referral medical conditions.
You will be assessed in the following ways as part of the course:
- Portfolio of evidence
- Practical demonstration/assignment
- Practical examination
For entry to this course, you're required to have the Personal Training Level 3 qualification.
On completion of the course you can progress onto:
- Employment within Exercise Referral Schemes and within the fitness industry.
- Level 2 Award in Delivering Chair-Based Exercise.
- Level 4 Certificate in Weight Management for Individuals with Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus and/ or Metabolic Syndrome at Usk Campus.
- Other Level 4 specialist qualifications.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team