VTCT Diploma in Complementary Therapies Level 3
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
04 September 2023
A good level of literacy and numeracy.
A minimum of 4 GCSE grades at D and above.
In a nutshell
You will study a variety of techniques on this course in the practices of Massage, Reflexology and Aromatherapy.
This course is for you if...
... You love all things holistic
... You have a special interest in complementary and holistic therapies
... You are hardworking with excellent communication skills
What will I be doing?
This course will cover topics such as:
- Massage is the manipulation of the soft tissues to produce an effect on the systems of the body. There are a variety of techniques and this course delivers the holistic approach to massage therapy.
- Reflexology works on keys reflexes identified on the feet to balance the body's energy flow to create equilibrium in each of the systems. This course delivers treatment to the feet and hands.
- Aromatherapy is the blending of essential and carrier oils to a bespoke blend to harmonise mind and body. This course delivers blending techniques, aromatherapy massage and the use of oils.
Anatomy, Physiology and Pathologies will also be studied to underpin the practical therapies. In addition, you'll learn how to set-up or run a new business in complementary therapies.
Some practitioners work in spas, beauty salons, chiropractic clinics, physiotherapy practices, hospices and the care sector. Many work privately in their own businesses.
You’ll provide clinic sessions and work on clients every week. The clinic enables you to practise with a supervisor in a commercial environment.
This course is delivered through:
- Theory sessions
- Practical learning sessions
- Clinic sessions
- Group work
- Enrichment activities (including visiting speakers and trips)
- Case studies
You’ll be assessed via practical observations, written assignments, two multiple-choice exams, case studies and minimum work-log hours. Upon completion, you’ll achieve:
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Complementary Therapies
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
What is expected of me?
To enroll of this course you will need a good level of literacy and numeracy and a minimum of 4 GCSEs grade D and above.
What comes next?
You can progress onto the HNC/D in Complementary Therapies (Healthcare Practice).
This course is available to learners aged 16+.
- Black, flat, comfortable shoes (not canvas)
- Hair must be secured off the face during all clinic sessions
- No jewellery and no piercings (except a wedding band)
- No nail extensions or nail varnish permitted. Clean, short and filed nails
You’ll be expected to purchase an aromatherapy kit and insurance as a condition of your place on the course. The cost of this is approximately £189.
You’ll be expected to practise off site and it is recommended that you purchase a portable, height adjustable massage couch with a face hole.
You will also need a current DBS check which will cost you £50.00. This is organised for you through the college.
To reflect industry expectations, you will be required to wear a Coleg Gwent salon uniform. The college will fund the cost of one full uniform per year. Additional sets can be purchased for around £45 (TBC); college staff will be able to direct you to the approved supplier if / when needed.
All costs are under review and are subject to change.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team