You can select another campus or date option from the list below:
In a nutshell
Do you want to create your own handcrafted edition of your favourite board game? do you want to create unique boards and playing pieces for your own board game design? Perhaps you want to create professional looking terrain for your tabletop battles. This is the course for you!
In this digital fabrication course we’ll be going over the basics of 3D Modelling, 3D Printing and Lazer cutting. This course is designed for beginners to gain an understanding of how to prototype ideas for tabletop games. The emphasis for the course is on building skills and confidence using a range of 3D printers, modelling software, Lazer cutters and design software enabling you to get the most out your 3D printer and Lazer cutter as a hobby or for business.
This course is for...
...anyone who wants to learn about 3D printing and lazer cutting for hobbies like model making and tabletop games to crafts, product design and engineering.
You will cover:
- Design your own 3D models in Autodesk Maya and Blender
- Design your own game boards and Lazer cut them on plywood or acrylic sheets
- Master proper "slicing" software settings for best print results
- Set up your printer for proper first layer adhesion
- Find free ready-made files to download and print yourself
- Get recommendations on which printer and "slicing" software to start with
- Creating vector graphics and cutting guides for a range of flat sheet materials
This course will take you on a journey through the entire tabletop game prototyping process—from designing your own 3D models in a 3D design software, to then preparing it to print it in the “slicing” software, and finally printing the game pieces or figures. This course will show you step by step from start to finish how the entire 3D printing process works. It might seem overwhelming, but it’s actually incredibly simple and easy to do.
You'll need regular attendance and an enthusiasm for the subject.
You will be required to have basic knowledge of using a personal computer.
The School of Creative Arts is offering a suite of courses throughout the year.
The courses we are currently offering are:
- Print Making
- 3D Printing
- Creative Wellbeing and Arts Practice
- DJ Skills using Ableton Live
- Performing Arts
- Singing for Pleasure
- Creative Writing
- Furniture Upcycling and Craft
- Jewellery Making
- Digital Drawing Using Procreate
- Launching a Creative Venture/Business
Beyond this course there is a progression route for you to enrol onto the Advanced Digital Fabrication course.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team