BTEC Digital Technologies Level 3
Computing and Digital Technology
04 September 2023
Minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language, or an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
This course aims to blend technical skills with the business, interpersonal and project management skills that are needed not only by the computing sector, but by all the sectors using technology in a modern global environment.
This course is for you if...
... You want a combination of academic teaching and practical training
... You want quality work experience opportunities
... You have a passion for the dynamic world of digital technology
What will I be doing?
You will learn through practical experiences by taking part in projects set by employers and of course, quality work experience opportunities.
A Career College offers:
- Exciting, innovative and active learning, relating directly to real work
- High quality teaching from qualified staff in core academic areas (including GCSE English, Maths or Essential Skills Literacy/Numeracy)
- Prestigious coaching and industry expertise
- Industry-standard facilities and resources to aid your learning
- Personalised learning to suit your individual skills and interests
- Excellent links with local employers
- A clear line of sight to the world of work and your future career
- Help to develop essential employability skills
- High quality career education and advice
- The expectation that on completion of your course, you will progress into either employment, an apprenticeship or further/higher education
- Opportunities to meet and connect with other young people in Career Colleges around the country
- Expert support, advice and mentoring to expand your horizons and encourage aspiration
You’ll acquire a combination of computing knowledge and practical skills to meet the ever-changing technological demands of industry.
You'll study a very wide range of computing topics, which include:
- Principles of computer science (exam)
- Fundamentals of computer systems (exam)
- IT systems security and encryption
- Business applications of social media
- Managing and supporting systems
- Systems analysis and design
- Computer Networking
The course takes a unit-by-unit approach and you’ll be assessed through assignments, tasks and written exams. Qualifications you’ll achieve are:
- Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Computing
- Wider Employability Skills
- Level 3 Essential Skills AON and Communications
The BTEC Digital Technologies Level 3 Modules include:
- Principles of Computer Science (exam)
- Fundamentals of Computer Systems (exam)
- IT Systems Security & Encryption
- Business Applications of Social Media
- Computer Games Development
- Website Development
- Planning & Management of Computer Projects (exam)
- Software Design & Development Project
- Impact of Computing
- Digital Graphics & Animation
- Relational Database Development
- Computer Networking
- System Analysis & Design
What is expected of me?
To enter, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language, or an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification with a Merit grade and GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
You’ll need to be committed to your studies and progression to an apprenticeship or employment in the sector. You’ll need to be prepared to study and work in a learning environment which mirrors work rather than the classroom including extended hours, business dress and behaviours.
What comes next?
Work in related fields such as:
- Advanced apprenticeships in Computing
- Network engineering
- Website design and development
- ICT systems support
You will get the opportunity to gain work experience, take part in problem-based learning and the opportunity to partake in the Erasmus scheme.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team