• https://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/january

For more information or to apply for any of our courses

01495 333777

Which course is for me?

Which course is for me at Coleg Gwent, South Wales

Which course is for me?

There are so many courses on offer that it can be difficult to know the right one to choose.  This section explains some of the qualifications available and our Guide to Qualifications should help you find the right level to suit you.

If you are still unsure then our Admissions team will be happy to help you.


Access/Pathway to DegreeAccess programmes are designed for people who would like to study in Higher Education but who left school without the usual qualifications, such as A Levels, equipping learners with the necessary study skills required for study in a HE environment.  The whole package of units has been designed to ensure that you're thoroughly equipped for studying at university. 


A LevelsAS and A levels are the traditional qualifications for 16+ year olds. They’re highly valued by universities and employers and focus on academic subjects, although some are work-related. AS levels can be taken as a stand-alone qualification, or as the first part of an A level course. AS levels are completed in the first academic year in the second year A2 exams and coursework are added on to an AS level, bringing it up to A level standard.


Apprenticeships These are ideal if you want to combine a career with study. You gain a recognised qualification and develop professional skills, while earning a salary, inside some of Britain’s best companies. Find out more in our Apprenticeships section.


BTEC BTECs are vocational qualifications that are suitable for a wide range of students and are designed to accommodate the needs of employers and also allow progression to University. BTECs are recognised by schools, colleges, Universities, employers and professional bodies in the UK and in over 100 countries worldwide. The qualifications have been around for over 25 years, and they continue to grow and develop. BTECs provide a practical, real-world approach to learning alongside a theoretical background, and are usually all coursework-assessed. 


City & Guilds City & Guilds qualifications are valued by employers because they are developed with industry. They are recognised by employers and can help you gain employment or entry onto Higher Education courses.


NVQ (National Vocational Qualification) You can study NVQs at work, college, or as part of an Apprenticeship. You learn practical, work-related tasks designed to help you develop the skills and knowledge to do a job effectively. A qualified assessor will observe you and assess you on the actual work you carry out in the workplace. They will test your knowledge and understanding as well as your performance.


Guide to qualifications 

The table below is a guide only, and some course entry requirements may differ – you’ll find specific entry requirements for each course when you search for it using the course search on the right.




Equivalent to

Entry requirements

Entry Level

Entry Level Certificates,

Awards and Diplomas

Not applicable

No qualifications needed 

Level 1

Level 1 Certificates,

Awards and Diplomas


2 GCSEs at grade D-G or above 

Level 2

Level 2 Certificate

1 GCSE (A*-C)

*4 GCSEs at grade D or above

(preferably including maths

or English/Welsh) or relevant

Level 1 qualification 

Level 2 Extended Certificate

2 GCSEs (A*-C) 

Level 2 Diploma

4 GCSEs (A*-C) 

Level 3

A and AS Levels


*5 GCSEs at grade C or above

(including English/Welsh) or

relevant Level 2 qualification.



Level 3 Certificate

1 AS Level 

Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma

1 A Level 

Level 3 Diploma

2 A Levels 

Level 3 Extended Diploma

3 A Levels 


Something for everyone 
If you don’t get the grades you need to do the course you want, don’t worry. No matter what level you start at, if you successfully complete the course you can then progress to the next level. So if you don’t get the grades you need to start a Level 3 course, you can study a one-year Level 2 course (e.g. GCSE re-sits or a First Diploma) and then progress the following year. Contact our Admissions team for further information.


Share this page