Agored Cymru Access to HE - Medicine Level 3
Access to HE
04 September 2023
You are over 18 and want to enter Higher Education to study Medicine or a Medical Pathway (Dentistry, Optometry).
You should have
- An excellent GCSE profile,
- You have completed A levels in Biology & Chemistry, but because of social, educational or individual circumstances have not achieved the required grades / have completed other level three qualifications in the relevant subject areas
- You have achieved excellent grades at A level, but not in the subject areas required to support progression to a medical degree
- You are returning to education after an extended period away from formal study, but have gained life experience within vocational or other settings
In a nutshell
The Access to HE Diploma (Medicine) is a full time one year course, which has been specifically designed to help you progress to university to study Medicine or other Medical pathway degrees, such as Dentistry, Optometry and Biomedical Science.
This exciting course, the first of its kind to be offered in Wales, has been developed to help those who, because of social, educational or individual circumstances may not have achieved prior qualifications needed to apply for a Medical degree.
The course will provide the academic knowledge for your progression alongside clinical work experience.
The qualification has been developed in conjunction with Agored Cymru is validated in accordance with the requirements of the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) recognition scheme for the AHE Diploma.
This course is for you if...
... You meet the qualification entry criteria
... You have a keen interest in any science discipline
... You want to study a Medical pathway at University
... You want to work in a career associated with a Medical pathway.
What will I be doing?
Over the 9 months of the course, you will attend college for 3 days a week and be allocated a work experience placement with a local healthcare provider for 2 days a week.
What you will study
The course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to help you achieve your goal.
You will study a selection of subjects such as Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, DNA Technology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics, all tailored to support your future academic studies at university. In addition, you will complete an investigative research project, develop your study skills and attend work experience placements in local health care settings.
How you will be assessed
Assessment take the form of reports, assignments, controlled tests, logbooks and presentations along with 3 end of course exams. Assessment will take place both during and at the end of each unit as appropriate. Units which are eligible for grades will be awarded as distinction, merit or pass.
Start date - 4th September
What is expected of me?
This is a nine-month preparatory course for university degrees, therefore it requires dedication and commitment if you are to succeed. Excellent attendance and punctuality are expected, along with the necessary completion of study outside of lesson time. It is important that you consider how you will balance your work with your family life and any other commitments you may have.
What you need to know about your application to study this course
- There will be an interview for all applicants which will include an aptitude test to assess writing skills and your ability to cope with the demands of the course.
- The interview will provide an opportunity for you to tell us about your school experience to date and personal obstacles you have had to overcome to get where you are currently.
- You will need to provide a draft of a Personal Statement for UCAS, along with evidence of researching the degree you wish to study once you have gained your diploma.
- If you are intent on using this diploma to progress on to a Medicine or Dentistry degree course then it is important that will you have already practiced and booked a UCAT test (see https://www.ucat.ac.uk)
What comes next?
This course is primarily designed for students who wish to progress to university to study for a degree in Medicine. It will however support applications for other degree programmes such as Biomedical science, Dentistry, Biology, and Optometry.
Students are taught by subject specialists who have many years of experience successfully supporting students in their UCAS applications for degrees in Medicine.
Students are taught in well-resourced, modern laboratories allowing the development of crucial experimental techniques.
All students have access to our excellent range of College-wide facilities such as the Learning & Research Centre, and computer areas.
The course is fully validated by Agored Cymru. Coleg Gwent is the first college in Wales to receive this validation status.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team