BTEC Cyber College Computing Level 3
Computing and Digital Technology
Blaenau Gwent Learning Zone
07 September 2023
To enrol, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
This course focuses specifically on ‘Cyber Security’ within the computing curriculum. You'll develop a blend of technical, business, interpersonal and project management skills that are needed not only by the computing sector, but by all the sectors using technology in a modern business environment. This course is awarded by Pearson and has been further developed and is offered in collaboration with Admiral, Fujitsu and Thales.
This course is for you if...
... You want a combination of computing knowledge and practical skills
... You're enthusiastic about the ever-changing technological demands of industry
… You're driven by industry and employer needs to be workplace ready
... You want to blend technical and business knowledge
… You want a career or to continue further studies in Cyber or other related industries
What will I be doing?
The programme is designed in collaboration with employers to develop your technical skills in systems security, software development, networking and systems analysis and design.
You will study core units in the first year, and then progress to the Extended Diploma in the second year. You'll study a very wide range of computing topics, which could include:
- Principles of computer science (exam)
- Fundamentals of computer systems (exam)
- IT systems security and encryption
- Business applications of social media
- Website development
- Mobile Apps development
- Planning and management of computing projects (assessment)
- Software design and development project (assessment)
- The impact of computing
- Human computer interaction
- Computer networking
- Managing and supporting systems
- Systems analysis and design
You'll be assessed through coursework and exams and you'll achieve
- Level 3 in Computing (Equivalent to 3 A Levels)
- Advanced Challenge Certificate (Equivalent to 1 A Level)
- Other relevant qualifications to enhance your skill set including opportunities to achieve additional Venda qualification such as Comptia/ CISCO/ Certified Ethical Hacker
- Links with employers and a guaranteed interview with Admiral for employment at the end of your course
- Relevant and engaging work placement
In addition you will complete the Advanced Challenge Certificate.
There's the opportunity to travel abroad and undertake work placement through the Erasmus plus scheme.
What is expected of me?
Full commitment to attendance is required. Respect for others, enthusiasm for the subject and self-motivation are the essential qualities we expect to see in all our learners. You'll be continually assessed and there is an expectation that you will continue your studies and coursework during your own time.
Periods of work placement opportunities may occur on study days or during holiday times.
What comes next?
- HND in Computing or Foundation Degree IT Security at Coleg Gwent or other university level study in subjects such as computing, e-commerce, gaming, management information systems or database management.
- Employment as a junior developer or computer technician etc
- Apprenticeship at a suitable IT or Computing company
- University courses in computer science, computer games design and computer forensics
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team