BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Sports Coaching and Development Level 3
Sport, Fitness and Leisure
03 September 2024
Minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include either Maths or English/Welsh 1st Language; or an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade and either GCSE grade C or above in Maths or English/Welsh 1st Language.
In a nutshell
This course has a practical focus and you’ll be actively encouraged to join the college's sport academies. This course will help you develop your knowledge to follow a career in this field.
This course is for you if...
...you have a keen interest in sport and physical health
...you want a practical course
...you want to develop knowledge to follow a career in this field
What will I be doing?
You’ll study modules that may include:
- Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
- Health, Wellbeing and Sport
- Developing Coaching Skills
- Applied Coaching Skills
- Research Project in Sport
- Sport Development
- Self-employment in Sport and Physical Activity
- Sports Psychology
- Nutrition for Physical Performance
- Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- Sporting Injuries
- Fitness Testing
- Fitness Training
- Technical and Tactical Skills in Sport
- Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Practical Sports Application
- Influence of Technology in Sport and Physical Activity
- Organising Events in Sport and Physical Activities
- Ethical and Current Issues in Sport
- Marketing Communications
- Corporate Social Responsibility in Sport
At our Torfaen Learning Zone & Bleanau Gwent Learning Zone Campuses, you’ll also have the opportunity to study a Certificate in Sports Leadership and the Certificate in Fitness Instructing.
You’ll be assessed through practical and written assignments, presentations, portfolio work and observation. On completion you’ll achieve:
- Level 3 Sports Coaching & Development
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
- Skills Activities
- Maths and English (if you haven't achieved a Grade C or above at GCSE level)
Additional costs include up to £82.50 for kit, £50.00 for trips and £57.50 for Dragons Transportation/D of E Registration/D of E Camping fees.
What is expected of me?
To enrol, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs Grade C or above to include either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language or an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit Grade and either GCSE Grade C or above in Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language.
Practical participation is essential in completing this course. Full commitment to attendance is required, as well as respect for others, enthusiasm for the subject and self-motivation.
What comes next?
Successful completion of the Year 1 Foundation Diploma will allow you to progress on to the second year and complete the full Extended Diploma.
From there, progression routes include University level courses and employment in the sport and leisure industry e.g. community coaching, the fitness industry and sports development.
All learners have the opportunity to apply for Erasmus funding and visit a European country as part of their studies.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team