Agored Cymru Access to HE - Medicine Level 3
Access to HE
03 September 2024
- You are over 18 and want to enter Higher Education to study Medicine or a Medical Pathway (Dentistry, Optometry)
- You have a minimum of 5 GCSEs in Science, Maths and English at grade B (6) or above
- You have already successfully studied at Level 3 preferably at A Level (to include either A Level Biology or Chemistry or Mathematics).
- If you feel you have missed opportunities or not had the chance to fulfil your true potential because of your school experience and personal circumstances
In a nutshell
This course specifically prepares students for degree courses such as Medicine and Dentistry. It also prepares students for medical science related degree courses such as Optometry, Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Biomedical Science, Radiography and Physiology. A range of academic subject content units are delivered in biology, chemistry and physiology along with a range of units designed to improve students’ academic skills. Students will be expected to commit to a programme of work experience placements in a health care setting throughout the course.
This course is for you if...
... You meet the qualification entry criteria
... You have a keen interest in any science discipline
... You want to study a Medical pathway at University
... You want to work in a career associated with a Medical pathway.
What will I be doing?
The course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to help you achieve your goal.
You will study a selection of subjects such as Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, DNA Technology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics, all tailored to support your future academic studies at university. In addition, you will complete an investigative research project, develop your study skills and attend work experience placements in local health care settings.
The Access to Higher Education Diploma is awarded by Agored Cymru. Successful completion of this course will gain you an Agored Cymru Access to Medicine diploma.
This course is only available at Crosskeys Campus.
What is expected of me?
This is a nine month preparatory course for university degrees, therefore it requires dedication and commitment if you are to succeed. Excellent attendance and punctuality is expected along with the necessary completion of study outside of lesson time. It is important that you consider how you will balance your work with your family life and any other commitments you may have.
- There will be an interview for all applicants which will include an aptitude test to assess writing skills and your ability to cope with the demands of the course.
- The interview will provide an opportunity for you to tell us about your school experience to date and personal obstacles you have had to overcome to get where you are currently.
- You will need to provide a draft of a Personal Statement for UCAS, along with evidence of researching the degree you wish to study once you have gained your diploma.
- If you are intent on using this diploma to progress on to a Medicine or Dentistry degree course then it is important that you have already practiced and booked a UCAT test (see https://www.ucat.ac.uk)
What comes next?
Progress to university to study for a degree in a Medical / Bioscience subject such as Medicine, Dentistry, Biology, Biomedicine and Optometry.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team