Eligibility for Higher Education Financial Support

Eligibility for financial support depends on where you live, whether you’ve studied a HE course and received support before and the type of course you’re doing:

1. Where you live

Students need to be either a UK national or have ‘settled status’. You should be normally living in Wales on the first day of your course and have been living in the UK for at least 3 years prior to that, not for the purposes of full-time education. European Students are only eligible for tuition fee support and are unable to get living costs, dependent’s grants or DSA support. For more information see the Student Finance Wales website.

2. Personal Eligibility

If you already have a degree you won’t be eligible, with the exception of students who want to study a part-time PGCE. The course must lead to a recognised Higher Education course e.g. a Degree, Foundation Degree, a Certificate or Diploma of Higher Education or a Higher National Certificate/Diploma (HNC/D), or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).

What do I do next? How to apply

All applications need to be made via the Student Finance Wales website. You can either apply online or download an application form when the system opens for part-time applications, usually around May/June.