Financial Support

Your guide to financial support at Coleg Gwent

25 January 2024

Here at Coleg Gwent, we get it – managing your finances while juggling studies can be a real challenge. But we’ve got your back – whether you’re studying Vocational, A-Levels or Higher Education. Take a look at the financial support options available to supercharge your education journey.  

Full Time Financial Support

  • Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA): If you’re 16-18 and studying in Wales, you could get £40 every two weeks through EMA. This can help with daily expenses such as getting food or transport. Contact Learner Services or visit Student Finance Wales for more details.
  • Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG): If you’re 19 or above, WGLG offers up to £1,500 a year – perfect for textbooks or materials needed for your course. To find out more visit Student Finance Wales
  • Financial Contingency Fund (FCF): FCF is here to help with costs such as bus passes, childcare and more. 
  • ReAct Funding: If life throws you a curveball like redundancy, ReAct Funding can provide up to £2,500 for job training.
  • David Davies Memorial Trust: If your family has a connection to South Wales coal workers, this trust offers up to £300 in support.  
  • The Discretionary Assistance Fund in Wales (DAF): DAF is your lifeline during emergencies, offering a grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel if you are experiencing extreme financial hardship.
  • Prince’s Trust Development Award: Need help with transportation or equipment? The Prince’s Trust can help.

Higher Education 

  • Tuition fee loans: if you’re a first-time Higher Education student living in Wales, get excited as you can borrow up to £9250 to cover your tuition fees. 
  • Maintenance support: Get help with living expenses based on your family’s income.   If you have previously undertaken a HE course, this may impact your eligibility. For more info, head to and the section on’ Previous Study Rules’.
  • Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSAs): If you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty you may qualify for financial support. These grants are here to help towards the essential extra costs you may have as a direct result of your disability. Just fill out the DSA1 Form on the Student Finance Wales website, to get started.  

Don’t just take our word for it, listen to what our current learners have to say about our finance options.  

Sara Crockett and Thomas Morton

Sara Crockett, an Access to HE learner said: “I chose to do the Access course because I want to apply for a working with Children and Families degree. The fact that the course is free really did push me to take that leap and sign up.”  

Thomas Morton, a Foundation Degree Games & Art learner said: “I decided to study Games Art & Design at Coleg Gwent because it’s much cheaper than other universities.”  

Part-Time Study

  • Fee loan: Anyone in Wales can apply for a non-means tested fee loan of up to £2,625. To be eligible you need to be studying at a minimum 25% intensity, e.g. a full-time student completes 120 credits in one year, so a part-time student would need to complete a minimum of 30 credits per year. Studying just got more affordable! 
  • Maintenance Support (Living costs): Based on how many hours you study and your household income, you could receive t up to £5,111.25. 
  • Support for dependents: For those financially dependent adults or children, you can apply for Parent’s Learning Allowance for extra support. 

At Coleg Gwent, we’re here to ensure your financial worries don’t hold you back from reaching your academic goals. For further support, please contact our dedicated Customer Services Team in person, visit the finance webpage contact us via email at or call 01495 333777. 

You can also visit the Student Finance Wales website for details on eligibility and more information.