• https://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/january

For more information or to apply for any of our courses

01495 333777

Which course is for me?

Which courses is for me at Coleg Gwent International, South Wales

Which course is for me?

A LevelsA Levels are academic qualifications that are highly valued by universities – most require 3 or 4 A Levels for entry.  AS levels are completed in the first academic year and in the second year A2 exams and coursework are added on to an AS level, bringing it up to A Level standard.  As one of the largest college in Wales, Coleg Gwent offers a full range of A Level subjects so you can choose the right combination to get you where you want to be.

In 2013/14:
• Overall pass rate of 98%
• Pass rate of 98% for full time learners
• 100% pass rate in 27 subjects
• The best set of A Level results in Blaenau Gwent ever
• More than 25% of students gained at least one A or A*

You can study A Levels at the Blaenau Gwent Learning Zone, Crosskeys Campus and City of Newport Campus.

Click here for a full list of A level courses


BTEC Extended DiplomasThese are internationally recognised vocational courses that are assessed through course work and lead to university or employment. The programmes often involve continuous assessment through assignments, projects and practical exercises; work placements are sometimes also included and contribute to the final assessment.  Our extensive range of vocational courses give you practical skills as well as the qualifications to get in to your chosen industry, and Extended Diplomas can also secure you a place at uni.

Here’s just a snapshot of our BTEC Extended Diploma success for 2013/14:
• 97% of Extended Diploma students passed their course
• 267 (34.7%) Extended Diploma students achieved triple Distinctions – the equivalent of 3 A grades at A Level
• 444 (57.7%) Extended Diploma students gained at least 1 Distinction

We offer BTEC Extended Diplomas at all of our campuses, where you study depends on what subject you study.


English Language coursesEnglish for Academic Purposes is a full time English language and study skills course for those planning on studying English on a student visa.  The course can prepare you for:

• Pre-university courses such as A Levels, BTEC or Access to Higher Education
• Undergraduate or postgraduate academic programmes at a college or university in the UK
• Vocational training (at Level 3 or above) at a college in the UK. The course is also ideal if you want to improve your English language skills for professional purposes.

Find out more about English Language courses


European Mobility PreparationIf you’re planning to undertake an English-speaking work experience programme in the future, we can help you to prepare with our tailor-made programmes that combine work experience, English language skills and specialist subject tuition, to make sure you have the tools to succeed.

Our programmes draw on our vast experience in international travel and cultural knowledge, as well as excellent quality language tuition. Coleg Gwent is respected in the education sector for its work overseas and over a number of years Coleg Gwent has established successful partnerships in Finland, Germany and Spain.

Find out more about European Mobility Preparation

Learning providers/businesses
We’re always looking to expand our partnership network to broaden the opportunities available to students, please contact us if you’d like to discuss this further.


Higher EducationYou can study any of our full time university-level Higher Education courses.  

Higher National Certificates (HNCs) & Higher National Diplomas (HNDs)
These are work-related courses and are highly valued by employers both in the UK and overseas. While Bachelors Degrees tend to focus on gaining knowledge, HNCs and HNDs are designed to give you the skills to put that knowledge to effective use in a particular vocation.

Foundation Degrees
Foundation Degrees combine academic study with workplace/work related learning. They are broadly equivalent to the first two years of a Bachelors Degree. They are designed with a particular area of work in mind, with the help of employers from that sector. Typically, you’ll get the chance to learn in the workplace as well as the classroom. Once you’ve achieved a Foundation Degree, it’s possible to ‘top up’ your qualification to an Honours Degree. This usually involves an extra year studying full time (or the part time equivalent).

Click here for a full list of Higher Education courses



Share this page