City & Guilds Diploma Hair and Beauty Level 1
In a nutshell
This course covers both hairdressing and beauty therapy, allowing you to choose your specific route when you progress to the next level.
This course is for...
... you’re creative
... you have a keen interest in hair and beauty
... you’re unsure which route is right for you
On this course you’ll learn:
- Shampooing and conditioning
- Temporary colouring
- Plaiting and styling women's hair
- Skin care
- Basic manicure
- Basic make-up and photographic make-up
- Face painting
- Nail art
The course is delivered through:
- Theory classes
- Practical workshops
- Real salon environments at the college
- Make up demonstrations and guest speakers from industry
- Group work
- Work placements
- Trips and visits
You’ll be assessed through practical assessments, assignments, projects and multiple choice online tests covering the underpinning knowledge.
By studying this course you’ll achieve:
- Level 1 Diploma in Hair & Beauty
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
- Skills Activities
- Maths and English
- Creative Enrichment Skills (community activities and demonstrations)
After completion, you can progress onto a Level 1 Diploma in Hairdressing, Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy or Level 2 Diploma in Fashion and Media Make-up Artistry with Wigs (depending on grades achieved in the combined course)
You’ll need a minimum of 4 GCSEs (grade G or above) to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language or an appropriate Entry Level qualification. Applicants without the minimum GCSEs will be considered based on previous experience or other qualifications.
You’ll need to be self-motivated, hardworking, have a friendly personality and a high level of personal presentation.
Attendance and punctuality for all sessions is a major requirement of this course.
Code of dress:
- Tunic with black trousers and black shoes must be worn in salons
- Hair must be neatly tied back off the face
- Nail extensions and varnish must not be worn
- No piercings or jewellery - only a wedding ring can be worn in the salon
You’ll be expected to purchase kit as a condition of your place on the course. The cost of this is approximately £148.
To reflect industry expectations, you will be required to wear a Coleg Gwent salon uniform. The college will fund the cost of one full uniform per year. Additional sets can be purchased for around £45 (TBC); college staff will be able to direct you to the approved supplier if / when needed.
All costs are under review and subject to change.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team