AAT Unit Management Accounting Techniques Level 3
You can select another campus or date option from the list below:
In a nutshell
The AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting offers technical training in accounting and is ideal for anyone wishing to pursue a career in accountancy of finance.
The unit that you are purchasing here is Management Accounting Techniques unit of the AAT level 3 Diploma in Accounting.
Management Accounting Techniques provides you with the knowledge and skills needed to understand the role of management accounting in an organisation, and how organisations use such information to aid decision making.
You will learn the principles that underpin management accounting methodology and techniques, how costs are handled in organisations, and why organisations treat costs in different ways. You will be able to recognise different approaches to management accounting and provide informed and reasoned judgements to guide management. You will also learn how to apply these principles and appreciate why effective management accounting is crucial to any organisation.
You will learn the techniques required for dealing with direct costs and revenues, and with the treatment of short-term overhead costs. You will also learn the techniques required for decision making, using estimates of costs, revenues and cash flow. You will learn to carry out procedures as they would in a real-world organisation’s finance function including: undertake budgetary overhead apportionments and producing recovery rates, carry out basic variance and cost-volume-profit (CVP) analysis, calculate changes in forecast unit costs and profits, calculating working capital measures, producing simple budgets, monitoring cash flow and reporting accounting information.
You will be required to use spreadsheets when making calculations, manipulating and analysing data, reporting, and forecasting. Skills such as the use of formulas, functions data analysis tools, sorting and filtering will be vital within accountancy to enable you to preform complex calculations quickly and accurately. After analysis, the data needs to be comprehensively checked and then presented using a range of methods, for example as a structured spreadsheet with pivot tables and charts.
This is a roll-on / roll-off course with flexible start dates. We recruit students all year round.
This is also a blended learning course (a mix of traditional in-person with a teacher in a classroom and learning activities using digital technologies, from home).
This course is progression from Level 2 Foundation Certificate in AAT and will enable you to gain further skills to progress within the accountancy field.
This course is for...
… You have completed the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting
… You want to further your skills and knowledge in the accountancy field
… You want to work in an accountancy setting
You will enhance the skills you developed from Level 2 Certificate in Accounting and acquire a range of essential and complex accounting skills, including maintaining cost accounting records and the preparation of reports and returns.
The AAT Level 3 Accounting comprises four mandatory units:
- Business Awareness – You will learn about different business types, structures, governance, and the legal frame work they operate in and the impact of the micro and macroeconomic environment
- Financial Accounting: Preparing Financial Statements* - You will learn how to apply the principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping, acquisition and disposals of non-current assets. You’ll prepare depreciation calculations, period-end adjustments and produce an extended trial balance.
- Management Accounting Techniques – You will understand the purpose and use of management accounting and learn the costing and spreadsheet techniques required for organisations and the principles behind cash management.
- Tax Processes for Business* - You will examine and apply VAT legislation requirements, calculate VAT, review and verify making tax digital (MTD) VAT Returns, understand principles of payroll, and study the implications of errors, late filing and payment, and how to report VAT related information.
By applying here you are purchasing Management Accounting Techniques.
To gain the Level 3 Accounting qualification you need to complete all four of the above modules, you can purchase each module separately.
*To gain the Level 3 Bookkeeping qualification you need to complete the two modules with a *, you can purchase each module separately.
- Level 2 Certificate in Accounting
- Interview with the tutor if above is missing
This course runs on:
Monday 9am until 5pm (partially in class and partially remote).
Monday 5pm until 6pm and Tuesday 6pm until 9pm (partially in class and partially remote).
On successful completion of Level 3 Accounting you can go onto AAT Level 4 Diploma in Accounting which you can do full-time or part-time at Coleg Gwent. On completion you can undertake a role in finance.
On successful completion of Level 3 Bookkeeping you can go onto AAT Level 3 Accounting by completing the extra two units – Business Awareness and Management Accounting Techniques.
Books £30 per module approximately
AAT Registration (payable to AAT) £240
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team