UAL Diploma in Photography Level 3
Art and Design, Media, Photography
03 September 2024
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language.
- An appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification with a Merit grade, along with GCSEs that include either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
Crosskeys is bringing photography back with an exciting new offer: a one to two-year full-time Photography Diploma and Extended Diploma pathway to meet the growing demand for post-sixteen vocational photography courses.
This course is designed to help you explore and develop your specific photography interests, and prepare you for the next stage of your career.
You will have the chance to focus on honing your practical camera and studio skills through workshops and assignments, generating photographic ideas, learning about historical and theoretical studies through lectures and open discussion, and enhancing your confidence and social skills through live briefs, continuous feedback, and peer review.
This course is for you if...
... you’re creative
... you want to develop photographic practical skills
... you want a course that reflects industry experience
... you want to stretch your ability to think conceptually and communicate visually
What will I be doing?
We are excited to announce that we are an approved centre for the University of the Arts London (UAL) awarding body. Our course will inspire and challenge you to communicate visually, think conceptually, and develop problem-solving skills alongside practical techniques.
As a student, you will have access to state-of-the-art professional photographic equipment, Apple Mac workshops, a darkroom, and a world-class photography studio. You will learn through experimentation, utilising a wide range of traditional and digital processes. Through projects, you will gain a contextual understanding of photographic practice and be supported in articulating your personal journey.
Our experienced tutors, with extensive skills and knowledge in photographic practice and education, will guide and support you throughout your time with us. You will have the opportunity to develop your own photographic interests, and in the third term, you will negotiate a self-initiated project, allowing you to further explore your creative vision.
This pathway will offer:
- Both traditional and digital workshops, using our professional state of the art camera equipment
- Portraiture and still-life workshops in our outstanding dedicated photographic studio
- On location workshops during field trips within the beautiful Welsh landscape
- Academic lectures and discussion on contemporary & historical photography
- Opportunity to discuss current affairs and respond photographically
- Gallery and museum visits, in addition to visiting speakers and workshops
What is expected of me?
To be eligible for the course, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, which must include either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language.
- Or an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification with a Merit grade, along with GCSEs that include either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
In addition to meeting the academic qualifications, you will also need to demonstrate:
- Full commitment to attendance throughout the course.
- Respect for others, including peers and instructors.
- Enthusiasm for the subject of photography.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently.
- Creative ability and a desire to succeed in the field of photography.
What comes next?
On successful completion of the one year diploma, you have the opportunity to progress onto the second (Extended) year, where you may focus on a photographic area of your choice, as well as working across medias and workshops that will enable you to engage in your creative pathway in an informed way.
Progression to Higher Education is on successful completion of year two. Here at Coleg Gwent, we offer a wide range of HE progression pathways; Foundation Degree in the creative areas of Photography, Illustration and Designer Makers, Media and Games Design. We’ll also prepare and guide you through the UCAS application process, enabling you to apply to a wide range of degree programmes within the creative arts.
Our aim is to make it as easy as possible to secure your place on your ideal programme. We welcome you to our open evenings and taster sessions (see website for current dates), enabling you to experience our creative workshops and visit our well-equipped creative environment.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team