WJEC AS Level Religious Studies Level 3
You can select another campus or date option from the list below:
In a nutshell
This course covers a broad yet insightful look into religious studies across the world.
This course is for you if...
... You’re curious about other cultures
... You’re hardworking and self-motivated
... You’re interested in the philosophy of religion.
What will I be doing?
During the first year of study, you'll work towards your AS Level qualification, covering 2 modules:
- Christanity, including units on religious figures and sacred texts, central beliefs and concepts, Christian identity and social issues. You'll also look at the search for the ‘Historical Jesus’, Christian history, and theological issues such as why did Christ have to die?
- An introduction to religion and ethics and the philosophy of religion. This includes units on ethical thought, such as virtue ethics and ethical egoism; Aquinas' natural law theory, situation ethics, utilitarianism; arguments for the existence of God, the problem of evil and suffering and religious experience.
During the second year of study, you'll work towards your A Level qualification, studying 3 modules:
- Christianity, including units on religious figures and texts, significant historical and social developments in religious thought and religious practices that shape religious identity. This will include the relationship between science and religion, Feminist Theology and the Christian responses to global issues.
- Religion and Ethics include units on ethical thought, deontological ethics, determinism and free will.
- The Philosophy of Religion includes units on challenges to religious belief, religious experience and religious language.
You’ll be assessed at AS and A Level:
- Christianity: One examination of 1 hour 15 minutes (15% of total qualification)
- An introduction to religion and ethics and the philosophy of religion: One examination of 1 hour and 45 minutes (25% of total qualification).
A level Assessment:
- One exam of 1 hour and 30 minutes in each of the three modules
- Christianity, Ethics and the Philosophy of religion have equal weighting at 20% each of total qualification (AS = 40% and A2 = 60%).
Upon completion, you’ll achieve:
- AS Level Religious Studies
- A Level Religious Studies
What is expected of me?
To enter this course, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, including English/Welsh First Language, Maths/Maths Numeracy.
Full commitment to attendance is required, as is respect for others, enthusiasm for the subject and self-motivation. You’ll be continually assessed and there’s an expectation that you’ll continue your studies and coursework during your own time.
What comes next?
With a qualification in religious studies, you can go on to higher education or find employment in a wide variety of areas, including education, paid charity work, marketing, religious minstry, management.
This is a good additional subject for learners consisidering progression routes into areas such as the civil service & local/ national government and the military.
Learners have often taken this subject in combination with STEM subjects, as it provides an opportunity to engage with these from a philosophical and ethical standpoint.
You’ll need to make financial contributions to the travel cost of educational visits. Visits are undertaken on a local as well as national and international basis to enhance your learning experience.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team