• https://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/january

For more information or to apply for any of our courses

01495 333777

Financial support

Financial Support at Coleg Gwent, South Wales

Financial support

There are lots of grants and financial support funds available to students and we want to make sure you have all the help you need to access these. 

Read on to find out more about the different grants available, and if you need any more information or advice, you can contact Student Services at one of our campuses or call 01495 333777.


Welsh Government Learning Grant Further Education (WGLG) (FE)

This is for students aged 19 or over who are studying a Further Education course at college. Subject to eligibility, you could get up to £1,500 a year. 

To find out more information and to apply, please visit Student Finance Wales

Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) 

This fund is provided to Colleges in Wales by the Welsh Government and is subject to fluctuation annually.  All applications for support are means tested and will have a closing date – so we recommend you apply as soon as possible, but you will only be eligible to apply once you have applied for EMA/WGLG.

Before you apply for FCF there are a few things you will need to check to make sure you qualify:

  • Your chosen course – you must be enrolled on a full time Further Education course.  If you are in care, you’re a care leaver or you’re identified as a vulnerable learner and you’re studying a part time course you can also apply

  • Nationality and residency - you MUST have been resident in the UK, Isle of Man or EU for at least three years immediately prior to starting your course 


Download FCF application form and guidance notes:

FCF 2019/20 application form

FCF 2019/20 guidance notes

Application for childcare financial support 2019/20

FCF policy 2018/19

How can FCF help me?



Full Time Learner (12+ hrs. a week)

In care/ care leaver

Under 19

Over 19

19 and over

Bus pass cost




Childcare cost




Equipment grant




Meal vouchers


No (except in special cases)



Bus pass costs – you can apply for financial help towards the cost of a bus pass.  You will then be able to buy a bus pass for £10 per term and your eligible journeys will be free (subject to change).

Childcare costs - the college will contribute up to 90% of your childcare costs for one child up to a maximum of £45 per day, if your annual household income is under £15,000. 

Equipment grant - FCF can also help pay towards the cost of buying essential equipment for your course.

Meal vouchers - Learners aged 16-18, whose parents (or themselves) have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190, may be entitled to help towards the cost of college meals. If so, you can collect meal vouchers from campus Student Services each day to buy food up to the cost of £3.60.

Hardship Support - If you have extreme financial problems or your circumstances change and this will affect your attendance at College, you can apply for financial help through this support.  Please contact your campus Student Services for more information and to apply.

ReAct Funding

If you have been made redundant during the last six months or are facing redundancy, ReAct funding can help you improve your chance of returning to work. To apply for the fund all you need to do is contact your local Careers Wales office who can help you look at your options and apply for courses and training. 

The ReAct fund can contribute up to £2,500 towards the cost of vocational training courses – our business team can give you advice and discuss your options, call them on 01495 333564, or visit the Careers Wales website.


David Davies Memorial Trust

If you are 17 years old and a dependent of a South Wales coal worker/ex coal worker, you may be eligible for a grant of up to £300 from the David Davies Memorial Trust available through the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO). 

If you think you may be eligible please visit their website  or phone Nicola Taylor on 01443 485233, who will be able to talk you through the application procedure and make an assessment on your eligibility. This grant is not means-tested.


The Discretionary Assistance Fund in Wales (DAF)

DAF is Wales replaces parts of the Social Fund previously run by DWP which you may have known as ‘crisis loans’ or ‘community care grants’. 

The fund offers grant payments or support for:

  • Emergency assistance payments

  • Individual assistance payments

To apply:

  • Call 0800 859 5924 - free from landlines, or 

  • Call 033 0101 5000 - charged at a local rate, or

  • Apply online


For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, telephone 0800 100 900 or visit www.direct.gov.uk/adultlearning



Share this page