VTCT Diploma in Beauty Therapy Level 1
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
Blaenau Gwent Learning Zone
03 September 2024
You’ll need a minimum of 4 GCSEs (grade G or above) to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language or an appropriate Entry Level qualification. Applicants without the minimum GCSEs will be considered based on previous experience or other qualifications.
In a nutshell
The beauty therapy sector is fast moving and there will be opportunities to learn new skills during and after this interesting training programme.
This course is for you if...
... you’re creative
... you have a keen interest in beauty
What will I be doing?
On this course you’ll cover topics including:
- Following health and safety in the salon
- An introduction to the hair and beauty sector
- Providing basic manicure treatment
- Providing basic pedicure treatment
- Salon reception duties
- Skin care
- The art of photographic make-up
- Themed face painting
- Working with others in the hair and beauty sector
- Basic make-up application
- Create a hair and beauty image
- Nail art application
- Presenting a professional image in a salon
The course is delivered through:
- Theory classes
- Practical workshops Real salon environments at the college supporting the Beauty Therapy Level 2 students
- Group work
- Trips and visits
In addition to your course, you’ll be encouraged to participate in:
- In house college competitions
- Community activities
- Product and treatment awareness days in industry
You’ll be assessed through practical assessments, assignments, projects and multiple-choice online tests covering the underpinning knowledge.
By studying this course you’ll achieve:
- Level 1 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
- Skills Activities
- Maths and English
- Creative Enrichment Skills (community activities and demonstrations)
What is expected of me?
You’ll need to be self-motivated, hardworking, take pride in your appearance and have a friendly personality.
All classes take place on campus and there may be one evening a week when you’ll be in college until 7.30pm.
Attendance and punctuality for all sessions is a major requirement of this course.
What comes next?
After completion, you can progress onto Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy.
Code of dress:
- Hair must be neatly tied back off the face
- No piercings: only a wedding ring is allowed to be worn in the salon
To reflect industry expectations, you will be required to wear a Coleg Gwent salon uniform which is to be ordered from our approved supplier. For 2023/2024 the college will fund the cost of one full uniform. Details on how to order your free uniform and additional sets, with supplier payment options, can be obtained from your Head of School, Lecturer or Technician. The price for 2023/2024 is £45.
Additional costs could occur during the year for educational visits.
All costs are under review and subject to change.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team