AAT Unit Business Awareness Level 3
You can select another campus or date option from the list below:
In a nutshell
The AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting offers technical training in accounting and is ideal for anyone wishing to pursue a career in accountancy of finance.
The unit that you are purchasing here is Business Awareness unit of the AAT level 3 Diploma in Accounting.
This unit will provide you with an understanding of the business, its environment and the influence that this has on an organisation’s structure, the role of its accounting function and its performance. You will examine the purposes and types of businesses that exist, and the rights and responsibilities of key stakeholders. You will learn what the micro- and macro-economic environments are and the impact and influence that changes in these environments can have on performance and decisions. This will include an understanding of the basic business law relating to the preparation of financial statements for different types of entities. You will learn about the concepts of risk, types of risk and risk management for a business.
You will understand the importance of professional ethics and ethical management, and how the finance function interacts with other key business functions to enhance operational efficiency. You will learn principles to analyse and judge ethical situations which could arise in the workplace. You will also understand how acting ethically stems from core personal and organisational values, as well as the legal and regulatory framework for anti-money laundering.
The role of the accountant is changing. This change is particularly driven by emerging technologies, so you will learn about types of technological changes that affect the accounting profession and the impact of these on performance, data analysis and accounting processes. An important skill for accountants is being able to analyse, understand and interpret information gathered and communicated in different formats. You will understand the use of and impact of big data, the key features of blockchain, artificial intelligence (AI) and cloud accounting. You will gain the skills required to visualise and interpret data to support understanding and decision making for businesses.
This course is for...
… You have completed the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting
… You want to further your skills and knowledge in the accountancy field
… You want to work in an accountancy setting
You will enhance the skills you developed from Level 2 Certificate in Accounting and acquire a range of essential and complex accounting skills, including maintaining cost accounting records and the preparation of reports and returns.
The AAT Level 3 Accounting comprises four mandatory units
- Business Awareness – You will learn about different business types, structures, governance, and the legal frame work they operate in and the impact of the micro and macroeconomic environment
- Financial Accounting: Preparing Financial Statements* - You will learn how to apply the principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping, acquisition and disposals of non-current assets. You’ll prepare depreciation calculations, period-end adjustments and produce an extended trial balance.
- Management Accounting Techniques – You will understand the purpose and use of management accounting and learn the costing and spreadsheet techniques required for organisations and the principles behind cash management.
- Tax Processes for Business* - You will examine and apply VAT legislation requirements, calculate VAT, review and verify making tax digital (MTD) VAT Returns, understand principles of payroll, and study the implications of errors, late filing and payment, and how to report VAT related information.
By applying here you are purchasing Business Awareness module.
To gain the Level 3 Accounting qualification you need to complete all four of the above modules, you can purchase each module separately.
*To gain the Level 3 Bookkeeping qualification you need to complete the two modules with a *, you can purchase each module separately.
- Level 2 Certificate in Accounting
- Interview with the tutor if above is missing
This course runs on:
Monday 9am until 5pm (partially in class and partially remote).
Monday 5pm until 6pm and Tuesday 6pm until 9pm (partially in class and partially remote).
On successful completion of Level 3 Accounting you can go onto AAT Level 4 Diploma in Accounting which you can do full-time or part-time at Coleg Gwent. On completion you can undertake a role in finance.
On successful completion of Level 3 Bookkeeping you can go onto AAT Level 3 Accounting by completing the extra two units – Business Awareness and Management Accounting Techniques, either as a part-time learner or a fulltime learner.
Books £30 per module approximately
AAT Registration (payable to AAT) £240
This is a roll-on / roll-off course with flexible start dates. We recruit students all year round.
This is also a blended learning course (a mix of traditional in-person with a teacher in a classroom and learning activities using digital technologies, from home).
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team