Learning in Welsh
Learning in Welsh or bilingually
The Welsh language and culture of Wales is very important to us as a college. We encourage all members of the college community, Welsh speaking or not, to understand the importance of the Welsh language as a personal, educational and employability skill for the future.
We’re always working to provide a wider service to our Welsh speaking learners. Currently we offer:
- The opportunity to study some modules from selected full time courses bilingually. The number of modules and courses available bilingually is increasing every year.
- A Welsh speaking tutor for some of your modules if you’re on a bilingual course
- Resources provided in Welsh for bilingual modules
- Support for using Welsh in your assignments and coursework
- The option to write assignments and undertake assessments and exams in Welsh (only when the examination board can provide examination papers in Welsh)
- Provision to access tutorials in Welsh
- The opportunity to study Welsh as a second language
- Welsh placements and work experience
- Welsh enrichment activities
- Welsh guest speakers
- Bilingual glossaries and vocabulary
- The opportunity to gain your essential or key skills bilingually or in Welsh
'HWB Cymraeg': Welsh language and bilingual study support
There is support available on each campus for you to study in Welsh or bilingually. The ‘HWB Cymraeg’ offers the following support:
- Information about the benefits of studying bilingually
- One-to-one support to complete work in Welsh or bilingually
- Guidance on using apps to help with bilingual study
- Preparing for assessments through the medium of Welsh
Clwb Cymraeg: The Welsh Club
The Welsh club meet to arrange Welsh language and bilingual activities on each college campus including St Dwynwen’s Day, St Davids Day, Urdd Eisteddfod, National Eisteddfod, 6 Nations and plenty more.
The ‘Clwb’ also arrange residential visits to Urdd centres in Glan-llyn, Llangrannog and Cardiff. It is also a great way to make new friends and to use the Welsh language in an informal way whilst having fun.
For more information about the Welsh language and bilingualism at the college, please contact: