YMCA Diploma in Health, Fitness and Exercise Instruction Level 2
Sport, Travel & Public Services
Mode of Study
01 September 2020
Minimum of 4 GCSEs grade D or above to include either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language; or an appropriate Level 1 Diploma qualification in the relevant vocational area to include either GCSE Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language grade
In a nutshell
This course combines classroom-based theory study and practical skills enhancement to develop your interest and understanding in health, fitness and exercise.
This course is for you if...
... You have a keen interest in health and fitness
... You are a physical learner and an active person
... You’d like a deeper understanding of the science behind sport
What will I be doing?
During this course you’ll study units such as:
- Anatomy and physiology (exam)
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health (exam)
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments
- How to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- Employment law and industry legislation
- The principles of customer service
- An understanding of the benefits of a balanced diet
- How to plan and prepare group exercise sessions
- How to adapt exercise to suit varied fitness levels
- How to instruct a variety of exercise sessions
- Planning and instructing health related exercise and physical activity for children
You’ll be assessed via e-assessment, multiple choice and written examinations, a portfolio and practical assignments. Upon completion, you’ll achieve:
- Level 2 Health, Fitness and Exercise Instruction
- Skills Activities
- Maths and English
- Other relevant qualifications to enhance your skill set
At the Usk Campus, you’ll also study the Level 2 Group Indoor Cycling Award and have the opportunity to complete indoor circuits and kettle bells qualifications. At Crosskeys Campus, you’ll also study the Community Sports Leadership qualification.
What is expected of me?
To enter the course, you’ll need a minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade D or above to include either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language or an appropriate Level 1 Diploma qualification in the relevant vocational area to include either GCSE Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language.
Full commitment to attendance is required and practical participation in a fitness gym is essential in completing this course. You’ll need to have a passion to become a qualified fitness instructor, be determined to pass the theory exams and practical assessments. You should also be self-motivated, hardworking and punctual.
What comes next?
BTEC Pearson Extended Diploma Sport/YMCA Personal Training Level 3 or employment in the fitness industry.
- Coleg Gwent sports kit must be worn for all practical sessions
- Appropriate sports trainers must be worn for all practical sessions
- No piercings or jewellery to be worn during practical sessions
You’ll need to purchase Coleg Gwent sports kit which will cost approximately £75and will also need to purchase two mandatory Level 2 course manuals - total cost approximately £25.. Details will be provided at enrolment on how to purchase these but they must be purchased prior to the start of the course.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Call 01495 333 777 to speak to our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to changePrint course information