YMCA Certificate in Fitness Instructing Level 2
In a nutshell
If you’re looking for a fantastic first step into the fitness industry and the foundation to progress into becoming a personal trainer, this course is for you! The knowledge and skills it gives you will improve your chances of employment in any gym or leisure centre across the UK.
This course is for...
…anyone keen to work in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in gym-based exercise.
This is an intensive course ideal as a starting point for working in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor. Its aim is to help you design and deliver safe and effective gym sessions, and you’ll cover:
- Anatomy and physiology
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients
- The health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to stick to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge needed to plan and prepare gym-based exercise programmes
You’ll need to be ready to participate in the sessions, and will be assessed using a mixture of practical assessment (for which you'll need to bring one helper), multiple choice theory papers and worksheets.
If successful, you’ll be awarded the YMCA Award Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise) as well as 20 REPs points/entry to REPs at Level 2.
There are no specific entry requirements, although you’ll need experience of using cardiovascular equipment and fixed and free weights within a gym environment, and a basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
After enrolling you’ll receive a YMCA book on the exam areas which you’ll need to study before starting the course.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information