YMCA Award in Group Exercise Instructing - Circuit Training Level 2
In a nutshell
Designed for qualified fitness instructors, this course gives you the additional knowledge, understanding and skills needed to plan and instruct group circuit training sessions.
This course is for...
…anyone with a valid fitness instructor qualification who wants to take group circuit training.
The course covers a range of knowledge and skills specific to circuit training:
Knowledge and understanding:
- Methods of collecting participant information
- Principles of screening participants prior to exercise including the physical activity readiness questionnaire (PAR-Q)
- How to use participant information to help with planning safe and effective group circuit training sessions
- How to use music to enhance group circuit training sessions
- Fundamentals of sports massage treatments
- Assessment and screening of participants
- Preparing yourself, the equipment and the environment for group circuit training sessions
- Instructing group circuit training sessions
- Evaluating your own performance
You'll be assessed through a practical assessment and theory portfolio of evidence, and on successful completion you could progress on to the Level 3 Personal Training qualification, Level 2 Group Cycling, Level 2 Exercise to Music, Level 2 Exercise and Physical Activity for Children or a job in the fitness industry.
To take this course you'll need to have successfully achieved the following mandatory subjects:
- Anatomy and physiology including the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
This course takes place over two days (on a weekend) at Usk campus, and practical participation and successful assessment are compulsory.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information