Training for BHS Stage 4 Care and Management
Agriculture and Animal Care
Part Time Day
13 January 2022
To be able to undertake the BHS Stage 4, you will need to be a minimum of 18 years old and have achieved the BHS Stage 3 Care qualification or equivalent.
In a nutshell
This course is designed to prepare students for the BHS Equine Excellence ‘Groom Pathway’ Stage 4 Care and Management examinations. You'll develop both the practical and theory skills required to care for competition horses and manage an equine establishment.
This course is for you if...
… You are an industry professional wanting to train towards the BHS Stage 4 Care and Management qualification
… You want to develop your equine husbandry skills in looking after competition horses
… You have a keen interest in the effective management of an equestrian business
What will I be doing?
You will undertake a variety of activites to develop the practical skills and knowledge required to care for and manage a range of horses.
- Select, fit and evaluate a range of specialist tack
- Understand the principles of nutrition, fittening and horse physiology
- Demonstrate how to assess the conformation and health of horses
- Understand how to care for different groups of horses
- Understand the foaling process and the care of mares, foals and young stock
- Understand the importance of customer care and how to apply this in your business
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills
- Understand the responsibilities of a yard manager, including managing staff, accounts and record keeping
- Understand how to manage a yard, including marketing, facilities and grassland management
What comes next?
Learners could progress onto undertaking the external BHS Stage 4 assessment or apply to attend one of our full time equine courses.
Please note that this course is designed to prepare learners for the BHS Stage 4 Care and Management sections of the BHS Stage 4 examination, however this course does not include exam entry.
Candidates are able to bring along their BHS Skills Record for the instructor to sign off competencies.
Please note it is not mandatory to complete this assessment following the completion of this course.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information