HND Specialist Make Up
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
Mode of Study
30 September 2021
4 GCSEs A*- C including English and Art, a Level 3 qualification in Theatrical and Media Make Up (minimum vocational merit profile) or equivalent industrial experience.
In a nutshell
This course covers the skills and knowledge needed to work in make up for film, TV and theatre.
This course is for you if...
... You have a professional interest in theatre of film make up
... You’re creative
... You’re hardworking and dedicated
What will I be doing?
This two year Level 4/5 course is designed for those with a professional interest in theatre or film make up. It specialises in developing advanced skills and knowledge necessary to work in the world of film, TV and theatre.
You’ll cover units including:
- Contextual Studies
- Creative arts professional practice
- Creative arts research skills
- Managing a creative business
- Mask design and construction
- Design exploration for make up in performance arts
- Period hair and make up
- Wigs and postiche for the creative arts (making a full wig)
- Design techniques and applications for the performer
- Historical context in the performing arts
- Preparation, process and production in the creative arts (body painting, life casting and special effects prosthetics)
- Production management in the creative arts
- Personal and professional development
- Research project
- TV and film hair and make up
Practical skills are assessed through a series of timed practical assessments set from an industry related brief, which are supported with an extensive journal of research and development log. Theory units are assessed through case studies, research journals and presentations.
One complete, you’ll achieve the Edexcel HND in Performing Arts (Specialist Make Up) – Levels 4 and 5, however, you’ll achieve a HNC in Performing Arts after the first year of study.
What is expected of me?
To enter this course, you’ll need 4 GCSEs A*- C including English and Art, a Level 3 qualification in Theatrical and Media Make Up (minimum vocational merit profile) or equivalent industrial experience.
Delivery takes place on campus and offsite for some masterclass training therefore you’ll occasionally need to make arrangements for travel. Dedicated, creative and inspirational attributes in a learner will be expected.
What comes next?
On successful completion of the HNC you’ll progress to the HND, and then BA (Hons) Degree in Media Make Up.
You’ll be expected to purchase a uniform and a wig kit which will cost approximately £250
There may be other costs linked to travel and accommodation for Masterclass training.
Code of dress:
- Hair must be neatly tied back off the face
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information