HNC Engineering: Civil Engineering
In a nutshell
Study towards an industry recognised qualification in Civil Engineering.
This course is for you if...
... You have a keen interest in Civil Engineering
... You want a nationally recognised qualification
... You work well with both practical and theoretical study
What will I be doing?
The qualification is provided by Pearson Edexcel and delivered directly by industry professionals at the Pontypool Campus. All of our modules are delivered with an accompaniment of sustainable development, delivering the latest techniques and processes in graphical project-based modules.
- Design Principles and Application for Construction and the Built Environment
- Science & Materials for Construction and the Built Environment
- Applied Mathematics for Construction and the Built Environment
- Group Project in the Construction Industry
- Site Surveying Procedures for Construction and the Built Environment
- Engineering Geology and Soil Mechanics
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Structural Analysis and Design
Sessions are a blend of lectures, design studios and practical experimentation, based around real project scenarios and simulated problems.
We offer the HNC over 1-2 years, with 8 modules to complete. Day release on Tuesday and a Thursday afternoon allows you to complete within one year, but personalised situations can be accommodated.
What is expected of me?
To enter the course, you’ll need:
- 2 A-Levels or equivalent, or
- BTEC Lv3 at Merit Grade and above in Civil Engineering/Construction
- Trade Diplomas and NVQs accepted with appropriate level of experience
- Interview with tutor to discuss personal situations and assess the level of experience already achieved in a similar field.
Once on the course, we expect full commitment to your studies and the ability to continue your studies in your own time.
What comes next?
The natural progression from the HNC, is to take advantage of our links with local Universities and discuss options for a BEng, or BSE Eng in Civil Engineering. This can also be used as a route into Structural Engineering.
Alternatively, if you achieve an appropriate level of attainment but don’t wish to transfer to university, you can complete the HND in Construction and the Built Environment at our Pontypool campus.
Many of those currently working within management tiers in large construction and civil engineering firms are qualified to HNC level. Completing an HNC and potentially an HND will provide opportunities for a management career, as well as future progression and future education.
You’ll benefit from having access to a laptop, so that you become familiar with the Computer Aided Design process.
It is recommended that you purchase a scale ruler, graphical pencils/pens and general stationary.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Call 01495 333 777 to speak to our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to changePrint course information