City & Guilds Hairdressing (Adults) Level 1
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
05 September 2022
A minimum of 4 GCSEs grade G or above to include: Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh 1st Language or an appropriate Entry Level qualification. Applicants without the minimum GCSEs will be considered based on previous experience or other qualifications.
In a nutshell
This course is designed for people with a career interest in hairdressing and is ideal if you have little or no experience or skills. This course will also develop your customer service skills when dealing with clients.
This course is for you if...
...you love all things hair and beauty
...you’re looking for a career change
...you would like to cut the hair of friends and family and want to get qualified.
What will I be doing?
Being a hairdresser has many benefits which qualified stylists will tell you about. If you're thinking about becoming a hairdresser, these are the top reasons to become one.
- You can be creative
- You'll meet new people
- Having a career in hairdressing will give you the opportunity to be flexible with your working hours
- You will be able to provide a variety of services
- It is both satisfying and rewarding
Our course is designed for people with a career interest in hairdressing and is ideal if you have little or no experience or skills in hairdressing. We will help you to develop your customer service skills when dealing with clients and employability skills for all types of jobs.
You’ll learn about:
- Client consultations
- Reception skills
- Blow drying
- Basic cutting
- The art of dressing hair
- Hair up
- Colouring hair
- Creating a total look using colour.
There is an expectation that you attend work placement during the academic year either weekly or on block. This can either be organised by you or your tutors will support you to find a suitable placement.
The course is delivered through:
- Theory classes
- Practical workshops
- Real salon environments at the college
- Commercial sessions
- Group work
- Work placement
- Enrichment activities such as trip, visits, guest speakers and outside demonstrations.
You’ll be assessed via practical assessments, assignments, projects and multiple-choice online tests covering underpinning knowledge. Once complete, you’ll achieve:
- NVQ Level 1 Hairdressing and L2 Units in Hairdressing
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
- Creative Enrichment Skills (community activities and demonstrations)
What is expected of me?
To enter the course, you’ll need a minimum of 4 GCSEs grade G or above to include: Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language or an appropriate Entry Level qualification. Applicants without the minimum GCSEs will be considered based on previous experience or other qualifications.
You will need to be self-motivated, hardworking, friendly and have a high level of personal presentation.
Attendance and punctuality for all sessions is a major requirement of this course.
What comes next?
Once you've completed the course you can move on to NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing.
- Tunic with black trousers and black shoes must be worn in salons
- Hair must be neatly tied back off the face
- Nail extensions and varnish must not be worn
- No piercings and only a wedding ring is allowed to be worn in the salon
You’ll be expected to purchase a uniform and hairdressing kit as a condition of your placement on the course. The cost of this is approximately £200-£250.
A Salon Fee of £45.00 for the year covers all assessments on family and friends.
All costs are under review and subject to change.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information