City & Guilds Hairdressing (Adults) Level 1
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
Mode of Study
06 September 2021
A minimum of 4 GCSEs grade G or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language or an appropriate Entry Level qualification.
In a nutshell
This course is designed for people with a career interest in hairdressing and is ideal if you have little or no experience or skills. This course will also develop your customer service skills when dealing with clients.
This course is for you if...
...you love all things hair and beauty
...you’re looking for a career change
...you like to cut the hair of friends and family and want to get qualified
What will I be doing?
You will be learning a variety of hairdressing skills, including:
- Client consultations
- Reception skills
- Blow drying
- Basic cutting
- The art of dressing hair
- Hair up
- Colouring hair
- Creating a total look using colour.
And you will learn these through:
- Theory classes
- Practical workshops
- Real salon environments at the college
- Commercial sessions
- Role play exercises
- Group work
- Work placement
- Enrichment activities such as trips, visits, guest speakers and industry talks
You’ll be assessed via practical assessments, assignments, projects and multiple-choice online tests covering underpinning knowledge. Once complete, you’ll achieve:
- NVQ Level 1 Hairdressing and L2 Units in Hairdressing
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
What is expected of me?
To enrol on the course, you’ll need a minimum of 4 GCSEs grade G or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language or an appropriate Entry Level qualification.
What comes next?
Once you've completed the course you can move on to NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing or employment at a junior apprentice level.
The cost of the course is approximately £200-£250.
- Tunic with black trousers and black shoes must be worn in salons
- Hair must be neatly tied back off the face
- Nail extensions and varnish must not be worn
- No piercings and only a wedding ring is allowed to be worn in the salon
You’ll be expected to purchase a uniform and hairdressing kit as a condition of your placement on the course.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information