City & Guilds Diploma NVQ Professional Cookery Level 3
In a nutshell
Apprentices in catering can hone their advanced food preparation and cooking skills they learned at level 2. The course covers a broad selection of areas such as food safety, managing resources and preparation of complex meat, vegetables and poultry dishes.
This course is for...
…apprentices with experience working in a kitchen
…those wishing to advance their skills learned at level 2
…those looking to try complex dishes and skills
Apprentices must achieve a total of 56 credits; 17 credits from the mandatory group and the remaining 39 credits from any optional group.
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Prepare fish for complex dishes
- Prepare meat for complex dishes
- Prepare poultry for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Cook and finish complex poultry dishes
- Cook and finish complex vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish dressings and cold sauces
- Prepare shellfish for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex shellfish dishes
- Cook and finish complex game dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex soups
- Prepare, cook and finish fresh pasta dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish complex pastry products
- Prepare, process and finish complex chocolate products
- Prepare, process and finish marzipan, pastillage and sugar products
- Prepare, cook and present complex cold products
- Prepare, finish and present canapés and cocktail products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot desserts
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cold desserts
- Produce sauces, fillings and coatings for complex desserts
- Produce healthier dishes
- Contribute to the control of resources
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menus
- Ensure food safety practices are followed in the preparation and serving of food and drink
- Employment rights and responsibilities in the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism sector
- Prepare game for complex dishes
Learners will also study Essential Skills Wales (ESW) qualifications which are designed to help them develop and demonstrate the skills needed to make the most of their learning, work and life. These include:
Application of Number
- Understanding numerical data
- Carrying out calculations
- Interpreting results and presenting findings
Speaking and listening
The course will be delivered within the workplace whereby an assessor will visit to complete workplace assessments and progress reviews. Please note, apprentices will be required to complete any theory work set by the assessor prior to their visit.
Learners will need to be employed in an appropriate role to study this diploma.
The course will usually take 91 weeks to complete. After successful completion, learners can go on to study Higher Apprenticeship Level 4 in Hospitality and Catering.
This programme is part financed by the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government.
Due to current limitations, payment can only be made via bank transfer.
An invoice will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org within 72 hours with instructions on how to pay or set up payment instalments if required.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information