BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Uniformed Protective Services Level 3
Sport, Travel and Public Services
Torfaen Learning Zone
05 September 2022
You'll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above including either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language, OR an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification with GCSEs to include either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
Looking for a career in public services?
With a wide variety of roles to explore, during this course you’ll study a range of units that will give you a broad insight into this exciting sector.
This course is for you if...
...you’d like to work for the armed forces, prison or emergency services
...you’d like a career in community service related organisations
...you’d like a blend of practical and classroom study
The aim of this qualification is to provide learners with a broad overview of skills, attributes and qualities to progress onto higher education or employment within the Uniformed Protective services.
What will I be doing?
This course is split equally between theory-based classroom activities and practical outdoor activities. In support of these, you’ll also experience a wide range of trips, visits and guest speakers, plus two expeditions and a course residential trip.
- Unit 1 - Citizenship and Diversity
- Unit 2 - Behaviour and Discipline in the Uniformed Protective Services
- Unit 4 - Physical Preparation Health & Wellbeing
- Unit 5 - Teamwork Leadership & Communication in the Uniformed Protective Services
- Unit 10 - Skills for Outdoor Activities & the Uniformed Protective Services
- Either/or Understanding the Third Sector or Responding to Emergency Incidents
Plus Welsh Baccalaureate Skills Challenge in year 1
Year 2 modules may include:
- Unit 3 - Global Affairs & Media in the Uniformed Protective Services
- Unit 6 - Government and the Protective Services
- Unit 11 - Expedition Skills
- Unit 13 - Introduction to Criminology
- Unit 14 - Principles of Managing Security Threats
Plus Welsh Baccalaureate Skills Challenge in year 2
You’ll be assessed through practical and written assignments, presentations, portfolios and observation, and on completion of the course, you’ll achieve:
- Level 3 Uniformed Protective Services (Equivalent to 3 A Level after 2 years)
- Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (Equivalent to 1 A Level
- Maths and English (if you haven't achieved a Grade C or above at GCSE level)
What is expected of me?
To enter the course, we require:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grades C or above, to include either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language
- OR appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit Grade with GCSEs to include either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language at Grade C or above.
Full commitment to attendance is required, and practical participation is essential in completing this course.
Adhere to the college code of conduct and behaviours.
Work both independently and within groups.
What comes next?
What qualification will you achieve?
Year 1: Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Uniformed Protective Services (Equivalent to 1.5 A Levels)
Year 2: Level 3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Protective Services (Equivalent to 3 A Levels)
From there, progression routes include Higher Education courses in public and emergency services at Coleg Gwent or university, or employment.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information