BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Uniformed Protective Services Level 3
Sport, Travel and Public Services
Torfaen Learning Zone
06 September 2021
You'll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above including either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language, OR an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSEs to include either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
Looking for a career in public services?
With a wide variety of roles to explore, during this course, you’ll study units in leadership and teamwork in the public service; citizenship and diversity in the public service; exercise, health and lifestyle; crime and its effects; and government and policies in the public services, giving you a broad insight into this exciting sector.
This course is for you if...
...You’d like to work for the armed forces, prison or emergency services
...You’d like a career in community service related organisations
...You’d like a blend of practical and classroom study
What will I be doing?
This course is split equally between theory-based classroom activities and practical outdoor activities. In support of these, you’ll also experience a wide range of trips, visits and guest speakers, plus two expeditions and a course residential trip.
- Leadership and teamwork
- Citizenship and diversity
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Crime and its effects
- And government and policies.
You’ll be assessed through practical and written assignments, presentations, portfolios and observation, and on completion of the course, you’ll achieve:
What is expected of me?
To enter the course, we require:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grades C or above, to include either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language
- OR appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit Grade with GCSEs to include either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language at Grade C or above.
Full commitment to attendance is required, and practical participation is essential in completing this course.
What comes next?
Successful completion of the Year 1 90-Credit Diploma will allow you to progress on to the second year and complete the full Extended Diploma.
From there, progression routes include Higher Education courses in public and emergency services at Coleg Gwent or university, or employment in the uniformed public services or outdoor activity industry.
For this course, there will be additional costs of up to £125.00 for kit and protective equipment, plus £40 for Duke of Edinburgh registration.
Additional costs at Crosskeys campus include:
- £80 for a school kit
- £45 for outdoor activities
Learners at Torfaen Learning Zone will have the opportunity to undertake a range of educational trips, opportunities and events, such as:
- Visiting the University of South Wales
- Simulated emergency experience at the Hydra Suite
- The Clink HMPrison visit
- Fire Fighter Training Centre
- Torfaen Leisure Trust employment opportunities and reduced membership fees
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Male and Female Football
- Netball teams
- Coaching qualifications (NARS Pool Lifeguard & FAW)
- And a range of guest speakers from the public and emergency services.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information