BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Computing Level 3
Computing and Digital Technology
City of Newport Campus
06 September 2021
A minimum of 5 GCSEs, Grade C or above, to include Maths/Maths Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit Grade with GCSE Maths/Maths Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language at Grade C or above.
In a nutshell
This course aims to blend technical skills with the business, interpersonal and project management skills that are needed not only by the computing sector, but by all the sectors using technology in a modern business environment.
This course is for you if...
... You're interested in pursuing a career in computing
... You wish to study computing at Higher Education level
... You're enthusiastic about the ever-changing technological demands of industry
... You want to blend technical and business knowledge.
What will I be doing?
You will acquire a combination of computer knowledge and practical skills to meet the ever-changing technological demands of industry. The programme is enhanced to develop your technical skills in systems support, software development and networking. You will study core units in the first year, and then progress to a system support, networking or software development pathway in the second year.
You'll study a very wide range of computing topics, which could include:
- Principles of Computer Science (exam)
- Fundamentals of Computer Systems (exam)
- IT Systems Security and Encryption
- Business Applications of Social Media
- Website Development
- Digital Graphics and Animation
- Planning and Management of Computing Projects (external assessment)
- Software Design and Development Project (external assessment)
- The Impact of Computing
- Computer Networking
- Relational Database Development
- Systems Analysis and Design
You'll be assessed through coursework and exams in the first and second years and you'll achieve:
What is expected of me?
To enrol, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include either Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
Full commitment to attendance is required. Respect for others, enthusiasm for the subject and self-motivation are the essential qualities we expect to see in all our learners. You’ll be continually assessed and there’s an expectation that you will continue your studies and coursework during your own time.
What comes next?
- HND in Computing or Foundation Degree IT Security at Coleg Gwent or other university level study in subjects such as computing, e-commerce, gaming, management information systems or database management.
- Employment as a junior developer or computer technician etc
- Apprenticeship at a suitable IT or Computing company
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information