BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Applied Science Level 3
City of Newport Campus
06 September 2021
*Enrolment still open
You’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSEs to include Maths/Numeracy, English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
The tasks and deadlines in this course are based on realistic situations, activities and demands to prepare you for a future in Higher Education or the workplace. This is a two year programme.
The content covers chemistry, biology and physics units, with other units covering practical skills plus health and safety in lab settings, with plenty of practical skills development.
This course is for you if...
...you want a practical, work-related course
...you have a keen interest in science
...you aspire for a career in a scientific field
...you aspire to work within the NHS or other health or scientific related areas
What will I be doing?
- Unit 1: Principles and Applications of Science I (Externally assessed, examinations usually in early June)
- Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques (Internal assessments)
- Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills (Externally assessed, examinations usually in April/May)
- Unit 4: Laboratory Techniques and their Application (Internal assessments)
+ 2 additional, optional units chosen by the course tutors (Internal assessments)
Completion of the qualification at the end of the first year will allow you to achieve the BTEC L3 National Foundation Diploma in Applied Science
- Unit 5: Principles and Applications of Science II (Externally assessed, examinations usually in early June)
- Unit 6: Investigative Project (Internal assessments)
- Unit 7: Contemporary Issues in Science (Externally assessed, examinations usually in early June)
+ 4 additional, optional units chosen by the course tutors (Internal assessments)
Optional units in other areas of biology, chemistry and physics will be chosen to support progression to applied science courses in higher education, and to link with relevant occupational areas. On completion of this course you will achieve:
- Level 3 in Applied Science
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set
- Skills Activities
- Maths and English
National and International skills competitions
What is expected of me?
To enrol, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include a science subject and Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language; or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSEs to include Maths/Numeracy, English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
Full commitment to attendance is required. Respect for others, enthusiasm for the subject and self-motivation are the essential qualities we expect to see in all our learners. You’ll be continually assessed and there is an expectation that you will continue your studies and coursework during your own time.
What comes next?
Successful completion of the second year could lead to progression to a HND or degree courses in science or biomedical sciences.
Career opportunities working in science and manufacturing laboratories.
All PPE will be provided by the college.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information