BTEC National Diploma in Computing Level 3
Computing & Digital Technology
Mode of Study
01 September 2020
Minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh 1st Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh 1st Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
This course aims to blend technical skills with the business, interpersonal and project management skills that are needed not only by the computing sector, but by all the sectors using technology in a modern business environment.
This course is for you if...
... You want a combination of computing knowledge and practical skills
... You are enthusiastic about the ever-changing technological demands of industry
... You want to blend technical and business knowledge
What will I be doing?
The programme is designed to develop your technical skills in systems security, software development and computer games design.
You will study core units in the first year, and then progress to the Extended Diploma in the second year. You'll study a very wide range of computing topics, which could include:
- Principles of computer science (exam)
- Fundamentals of computer systems (exam)
- IT systems security and encryption
- Business applications of social media
- Website development
- Digital graphics and animation
- Planning and management of computing projects (assessment)
- Software design and development project (assessment)
- The impact of computing
- Computer games development
- Computer networking
- Relational database development
- Systems analysis and design
You'll be assessed through coursework and exams in the first and second years and you'll achieve:
What is expected of me?
To enrol, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
Full commitment to attendance is required. Respect for others, enthusiasm for the subject and self-motivation are the essential qualities we expect to see in all our learners. You will be continually assessed and there is an expectation that you will continue your studies and coursework during your own time.
What comes next?
- HND in Computing or Foundation Degree IT Security at Coleg Gwent or other university level study in subjects such as computing, e-commerce, gaming, management information systems or database management.
- Employment as a junior developer or computer technician etc
- Apprenticeship at a suitable IT or Computing company
University courses in computer science, computer games design and computer forensics
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.Print course information