BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Information Technology Level 3
Computing and Digital Technology
Torfaen Learning Zone
05 September 2022
*Enrolment still open
Minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh 1st Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh 1st Language at grade C or above.
Whilst a GCSE or Level 2 IT qualification is not essential, it will provide some of the foundation understanding on this course. A general interest and capability in hardware & software applications is just as valuable.
In a nutshell
This course is designed to ensure that it incorporates the most up to date knowledge and skills to enable progression to higher education or need for a career in IT.
The course covers a mixture of various practical software skills, coding and programming and essential IT theory - all designed to help you progress to employment or further studying in the IT sector.
This course is for you if...
...You’re interested in IT and technology and the role it plays in our digital lives
...You want to build upon and develop your IT skills and knowledge
...You want a career in IT support, networking, cybersecurity, programming...the list is endless
What will I be doing?
Through a combination of group work, classroom-based learning and tutorial support, you will study a wide range of topics and skills across the IT sector. Across two years you will cover modules in IT and information systems, social media, programming, cyber-security, data modelling, as well as developing and coding digital applications.
Assessment is 40% external in the form of exams and controlled assessments, whilst the other 60% are project based and internally-assessed. These assessments take the form of research, practical tasks, self-reflection and success analysis.
Work-experience is embedded into the qualification. The course tutors will support you to find a work placement which is in line with your exciting career aspirations and which also helps to support your classroom learning.
What is expected of me?
To enrol, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSE Maths/Numeracy and English/Welsh First Language at grade C or above.
Full commitment to attendance is required. Respect for others, enthusiasm for the subject and self-motivation are the essential qualities we expect to see in all our learners. You will be continually assessed and there is an expectation that you will continue your studies and coursework during your own time.
What comes next?
This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by HE providers as contributing to the admission requirements for a wide range of courses.
Learners can progress to the HND in Computing or a Foundation Degree at Coleg Gwent or the University of South Wales.
Many learners choose to go to university to study an Undergraduate degree in courses such as:
- Computer Security,
- Software Development
- Business Information Systems,
- Computing with Creative Design,
- Computer Games Design,
- Computer Animation,
- Virtual & Augmented Reality,
Learners often consider an apprenticehip or a step directly into the workplace where progress in IT fields can be rapid.
These are not a requirement of the course, however home access to the following will help your studies immeasurably:
- Smartphone or tablet device
- Computer or laptop
For more information about this course you may contact the course leader: Phillip.Dacey@coleggwent.ac.uk
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team