RTITB Telescopic Materials Handler (Telehandler) - Novice Operator
In a nutshell
The Telescopic Materials Handler (often known as a “Telehandler”) operator training course will give you the skills to operate the lift truck safely and efficiently, carry out a pre-use inspection, and recall and explain the causes of lift truck and load instability.
Telescopic Materials Handlers are widely used across the construction and agricultural industry due to their versatile nature and ability to move loads of all shapes and sizes. The machines are typically more versatile than a smaller Counterbalance fork lift truck due to its upwards and forwards reach ability, and increased lifting capacity.
Upon successful completion you will be awarded with an RTITB accredited licence, valid for 3 years.
This course is available as part of a Personal Learning Account (PLA). PLA is an initiative from the Welsh Government which offers people the chance to access free, part-time courses with flexible and convenient learning that fits around their existing lifestyle (subject to eligibility).
This course is for...
... those aged 19 +, living in Wales, employed, and earning less than £30,596 per year
... anyone seeking a career within the industrial, construction or agricultural industries, where telescopic handlers are used regularly
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the machine and how to operate it safely
- Locate and identify the major components and controls of the machine and explain their functions
- Explain the factors that affect truck stability and identify how to maintain stability of the truck and load
- Explain the dangers of overloading the truck and demonstrate how to prevent overloading
- Conduct all pre-operation checks
- Conduct all necessary safety checks at the work area
- Manoeuvre the machine safely when laden and unladen, over varying terrain and rough ground,
- in open and confined areas and on inclines
- Carry out lifting and load handling tasks, using a load-out tower (scaffolding) and/or a road vehicle
- Fit, adjust and/or remove attachments
- Carry out all end of shift and shut down procedures
You will be required to pass a theory test and practical operator assessment to successfully complete the course.
A basic level of English reading and writing skills.
Safety boots are advised, but not mandatory. As some training is completed outdoors you are advised to dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
The Novice Operator training course is completed over 5 days.
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.