City & Guilds Diploma NVQ in Food Production and Cooking Level 2
In a nutshell
This course is suitable for chefs, kitchen assistants and fast food assistants wishing to develop their skills in food production and cooking.
This course is for...
... Apprentices working as Cooks
... Those dealing with the preparation and cooking of food
... Those with an interest in clean food safety and workplaces
Apprentices must achieve a total of 40 credits; 10 credits from the mandatory group, 16 credits from optional group A and 14 credits from optional group B.
- Maintenance of a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
Produce basic fish dishes
- Produce basic meat dishes
- Produce basic poultry dishes
- Produce basic vegetable dishes
- Cook chill food
- Cook freeze food
- Produce basic hot sauces
- Produce basic rice, pulse and grain dishes
- Produce basic pasta dishes
- Produce basic bread and dough products
- Produce basic pastry products
- Prepare and clear areas for counter and takeaway service
- Prepare and clear areas for table service
- Prepare and clear the bar area
- Maintain cellars and kegs
- Clean drink dispense lines
- Receive, store and issue drinks stock
- Resolve customer service problems
- Promote additional services or products to customers
- Deal with customers across a language divide
- Maintain customer service through effective handover
- Maintain and deal with payments
- Employment rights and responsibilities in the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism sector
Learners will also study Essential Skills Wales (ESW) qualifications which are designed to help them develop and demonstrate the skills needed to make the most of their learning, work and life. These include:
Application of Number Level 1
- Understanding numerical data
- Carrying out calculations
- Interpreting results and presenting findings
Communication Level 1
Speaking and listening
The course will be delivered within the workplace whereby an assessor will visit to complete workplace assessments and progress reviews.
Learners will need to be employed in an appropriate role to study this diploma.
The course will usually take 60 weeks to complete. After successful completion, learners can go on to study NVQ Level 2 Professional Cookery.
This programme is part financed by the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team