VTCT Diploma in Complementary and Spa Therapies Level 3
In a nutshell
You will study a variety of techniques on this course in the practices of Massage, Reflexology, Indian Head Massage, Stone Therapy and Aromatherapy.
This course is for...
... You love all things holistic
... You have a special interest in complementary and holistic therapies
... You are hardworking with excellent communication skills
This course will cover topics such as:
- Massage is the manipulation of the soft tissues to produce an effect on the systems of the body. There are a variety of techniques and this course delivers the holistic approach to massage therapy.
- Reflexology works on keys reflexes identified on the feet to balance the body's energy flow to create equilibrium in each of the systems. This course delivers treatment to the feet and hands.
- Aromatherapy is the blending of essential and carrier oils to a bespoke blend to harmonise mind and body. This course delivers blending techniques, aromatherapy massage and the use of oils.
In addition you will study Indian Head Massage and Stone Therapy Massage.
Anatomy, Physiology and Pathologies will also be studied to underpin the practical therapies. In addition, you'll learn how to set-up or run a new business in complementary therapies.
Some practitioners work in spas, beauty salons, chiropractic clinics, physiotherapy practices, hospices and the care sector. Many work privately in their own businesses.
You’ll provide clinic sessions and work on clients every week. The clinic enables you to practise with a supervisor in a commercial environment.
This course is delivered through:
- Theory sessions
- Practical learning sessions
- Clinic sessions
- Group work
- Enrichment activities (including visiting speakers and trips)
- Case studies
You’ll be assessed via practical observations, written assignments, two multiple-choice exams, case studies and minimum work-log hours. Upon completion, you’ll achieve:
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Complementary Therapies
- VTCT Level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage
- VTCT Level 3 Certificate in Stone Therapy
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
You can progress onto the HNC/D in Complementary Therapies (Healthcare Practice).
A good level of literacy and numeracy.
A minimum of 4 GCSE grades at D and above however, applicants without the minimum GCSEs will be considered based on previous experience or other qualifications.
You’ll need to be self-motivated and driven, friendly with good interpersonal skills, demonstrate critical thinking skills, a good time manager and able to demonstrate excellent attendance and punctuality.
This course is available to learners aged 19+.
- Black, flat, comfortable shoes (not canvas)
- Hair must be secured off the face during all clinic sessions
- No jewellery and no piercings (except a wedding band)
- No nail extensions or nail varnish permitted. Clean, short and filed nails
As a condition of your place on this course, you will be expected to purchase the appropriate kit, from our approved supplier, costing approximately £191.
To reflect industry expectations, you will be required to wear a Coleg Gwent salon uniform which is to be ordered from our approved supplier. For 2023/2024 the college will fund the cost of one full uniform. Details on how to order your free uniform and additional sets, with supplier payment options, can be obtained from your Head of School, Lecturer or Technician. The price for 2023/2024 is £45.
You’ll be expected to practise off site and it is recommended that you purchase a portable, height adjustable massage couch with a face hole.
You will also need a current DBS check which will cost you approximately £50.00. This is organised for you through the college.
Additional costs could occur during the year for educational visits.
All costs are under review and subject to change.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team