UAL Diploma in Games Design Level 3
Art and Design, Media, Photography
05 September 2022
*Enrolment still open
Minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Art/Creative Subject/ICT and either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language, or appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit grade with GCSEs to include either Maths/Numeracy or English/Welsh 1st Language at grade C or above.
In a nutshell
Making use of high-performance computers and the latest virtual reality technology, this course provides the opportunity to gain relevant skills and experience, helping you to keep pace with this rapidly changing industry.
This course is for you if...
... You have a keen interest in gaming
... You’re creative and hardworking
... You want to progress to a university course in this field
What will I be doing?
The computer games industry is a rapidly expanding area, which offers many opportunities. This qualification enables you to focus on the creative, artistic and technical aspects of digital games production. You’ll learn by undertaking all stages of the game production process, such as developing concept art, 2D and 3D animation, 3D modelling of game environments, and developing scripts within a games engine. You’ll also learn code for web and app-based games.
On completion of the course, you’ll have a strong portfolio of playable games to present to universities or employers.
You’ll be assessed through coursework (submitted throughout the year). Qualifications achieved will be:
- Level 3 Diploma in Digital Games Design and Development
- Appropriate supporting qualifications to broaden your skill set and meet the needs of industry
- Skills Activities
- English and Maths
What is expected of me?
To enrol, you’ll need a minimum of 5 GCSEs, Grade C or above. These should include Art/a creative subject/ICT and either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language. Alternatively, we’ll accept an appropriate Level 2 Diploma qualification at Merit Grade with GCSEs, to include either Maths/Maths Numeracy or English/Welsh First Language.
You should also be able to use your knowledge, skills and judgement to initiate and complete semi-complex tasks and procedures (within limits). This includes being able to address problems with a level of independence. You need to be aware of different viewpoints or approaches within your area of study or work. You’ld be expected to commit to five days a week of study, which includes both the teaching of the knowledge element of the qualifications within college, and work placement days/blocks for the competency element of the qualifications.
What comes next?
University: This qualification provides UCAS tariff points and supports your progression to higher education in a games design-related subject, such as the Foundation Degree in Games Art and Design at Coleg Gwent.
Employment: On completion of these qualifications you could progress to various job roles, dependent on your chosen pathway. Career options could include games designer, 3D modeller, 2D/3D animator, dev-ops engineer, game programmer, games artist, level designer or visual effects artist.
Successful completion of the Year 1 90 Credit Diploma will allow you to progress on to the second year, and complete the full Extended Diploma. From there, progression routes include:
- Foundation Degree in Games Art and Design
- Higher education in a range of disciplines
- Employment in the games industry
- Potential careers opportunities in the media industry: 3D modeller, texture artist, concept artist, lead artist, rigging artist, animator, lighting & rendering artist, narrative copywriter, product manager, project manager/producer (games), QA tester, technical artist, assistant producer, audio engineer, creative director, dev-ops engineer, external producer, game designer, game developer, game programmer, games artist, lead programmer, level designer, level editor, 3D / 2D animator, lighting and environment artist, audio engineer, visual effects artist
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team