YMCA Award in Group Exercise Instructing - Circuit Training Level 2
You can select another campus or date option from the list below:
Sport, Fitness and Leisure
Part Time Day
Discount available to Under 19s only. Dependent on course suitability
Other fees may include any of the following: registrations, exam fees or any course materials
05 June 2023
Monday and Tuesday
In a nutshell
The aim of this qualification is to enable learners to professionally plan and instruct Group Circuit Training sessions that are safe and effective within a fitness environment.
Learners will develop knowledge, skills and behaviours to become a group exercise instructor within context, meeting industry requirements set out within the CIMSPA professional standard.
This course is for...
... learners who are already working in the fitness sector but would like to gain new skills
... those who want to 'top up' existing knowledge and skills to meet CIMSPA Core Group Exercise Instructor professional standard.
Learners will develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours to become a group exercise instructor in Circuit Training. They will meet industry requirements set out within the CIMSPA core group exercise professional standard.
For the YMCA Level 2 Award in Group Exercise Instructing: Circuit Training, learners must achieve 2 mandatory units:
- Principles of planning and delivering group exercise
- Plan and deliver group circuit training
The course covers a range of knowledge and skills specific to circuit training:
Knowledge and understanding:
- Methods of collecting participant information
- Principles of screening participants prior to exercise including the physical activity readiness questionnaire (PAR-Q)
- How to use participant information to help with planning safe and effective group circuit training sessions
- How to use music to enhance group circuit training sessions
- Fundamentals of sports massage treatments
- Assessment and screening of participants
- Preparing yourself, the equipment and the environment for group circuit training sessions
- Instructing group circuit training sessions
- Evaluating your own performance
You'll be assessed through a practical assessment and theory portfolio of evidence.
On successful completion you could progress on to the:
- Level 3 Personal Training qualification
- Level 2 Group Cycling
- Level 2 Exercise to Music
- Level 2 Exercise and Physical Activity for Children
- A job in the fitness industry
The following mandatory units are required prior to undertaking the course:
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and fitness instructors
- Providing a positive customer experience in the exercise environment
- Lifestyle management and health awareness
Learners must be 19 plus and have experience of participating in exercise through personal practice as participation in group sessions will be mandatory.
This course may be available at other dates, times or campuses, please click to view your options.
After booking your course you have 14 days to change your mind and request a full refund. You can still request a refund after this date, but this will only be given if you meet the criteria from the college fee policy.
If your chosen course starts within 14 days of you booking your place, then the 14 day refund policy does not apply and any refund will be subject to the college fee policy.
All courses may be subject to change and cancelled if deemed not viable to run.
Have any questions or are not sure if this is the right course for you?
Contact our Student Recruitment team