National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) give people the opportunity to work, reach a skill level and gain a qualification that is nationally recognised at the same time. The work-based qualifications combine theoretical knowledge with practical skills, providing employees with the appropriate competence and skills to progress in their role. They are available across all sectors of the economy and are open to all persons, regardless of gender or age.
NVQs are respected for their flexibility, their positive impact on staff and business performance and their suitability for candidates who favour experiential learning over traditional teaching situations and exams.
Benefits for Employers:
- NVQs have been shown to develop skilled workers and more motivated staff which leads to higher quality output and and productivity
- They can improve the retention of staff as supporting staff on these programmes show a commitment from the employer
- NVQs are work-related and can be adjusted to the business needs enabling a company to broaden its skill base and profile
- They also provide a convenient framework for assessing staff competency
Benefits for Candidates:
- Achieving an NVQ can boost an individual's confidence and increase motivation to work
- The qualification can lead to an increase in pay and promotion opportunities
- It enhances transferability and employability
- Demonstrates competence in your ability to perform the job to national standards expected in employment